Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:30 PM   #1

Hi~~~

My name is Jay. I'm pretty new to SLR camera. My sister in law gave me Nikon F50/N50 film camera. It came with 35-80mm 1:4-5.6D zoom lens. I'm considering to buy Nikon 50mmLens, b/c I heard that fixed lens is better than a zoom lens.

1. What is the difference between Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 and 1.8D?

2. Can I use manual Nikon lens on F50/N50?

3. What kind of Nikon external flash do you recommend for this camera?

4. I have several Pentax SMC screw m42lenses (28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, 135mm 3.5). Can I use this on F50/50 with an adaptor? If I can, what kind of adaptor do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

submarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:59 AM   #2

Hi Submarine2000,

A "D" lens will measure distance to the subject when using TTL flash. A non-"D" lens will not. Both work exactly the same when not using the flash. Just do not get any "DX" lens for your FILM camera.

I would get the Nikon SB-800 or SB-600 so when you move up to a Digital SLR you will already have the compatable flash. SB-800 would be my first choice. I would also get the 50mm 1.8D lens for the same reason.

Remember this: A DX lens has no aperture ring and probably will not function on your Film Cameras at all.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

So what will happen if you try to use a non-D with a SB800? Am I wrong to make the assumption that a "D" lens will produce better results?

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Submarine2000,

A "D" lens will measure distance to the subject when using TTL flash. A non-"D" lens will not. Both work exactly the same when not using the flash. Just do not get any "DX" lens for your FILM camera.

Ronnie
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:47 PM   #4

A "D" lens will produce better results with the SB-800 using TTL. As far as pictures you take without using the SB-800 there is no diffrence at all.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:25 PM   #5

I owned the 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor and it was a superb lens: as sharp as they come with good medium to low light capabilities.
Unfortunately, because of the 1.5x focal length multiplier of the D50 I use, I soon found myself in need for a wider lens. May I also suggest the Sigma 28mm F1.8 (is you can find one)? Ofcourse, the 50mm will give you excellent results on your film camera but maybe you'll find yourself in need for a wider lens as well. The 50mm is more suitable for portraits than anything else.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote