Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:36 PM   #1

Has anyone ever tried using a good low light prime (for example the 50mm F1.8, or 35mm F2) And adding a wide angle convertor to make a cheap wide angle (ish) Prime lens?

It seems like it would be feasible assuming that the wide angle convertor doesn't cause massive vignetting.

Ive looked for info like this online but I can't really find anything pertaining to DSLR's...
And the WC E68 has a 46mm filter size which isn't really useable

I first thought of this because I saw a photographer at a club with a large looking lens that seemed to bubble out too much to just be a single peice of glass.

Thanks
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2

Bump since I still haven't found an answer

Also Nikon's .8x Wide angle convertor uses a 50mm thread so its not really usefull for me either...

52mm or 55mm would be the best thread sizes, but I don't see any that size...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:03 PM   #3

Raynox do quite a range, including 52mm 0.66x and 58mm 0.79x. I cannot see why it won't work - the main problem with such things usually being vignetting. You need to get the converter as close as possible to the front element of your lens - removing the UV filter can help, if you have one on.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:04 PM   #4

what are you trying to achieve? Is it a fast wide angle? otherwise I think you would do better to buy a wide zoom 18-50 etc. The lens attachment will probably negate any advantage the prime would have over the zoom.
Steve
echolsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:36 AM   #5

Negating the advantages? According to whom? What is someone has F/1.4 lens? Did you consider the cost of the converter and and a brand new zoom lens? etc etc
joey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:48 PM   #6

Even the best wide converters for P&S cameras don't do all that great a job. They introduce distortion and CA and it only gets worse as the converter gets cheaper.

I have the Nikon WC-E80 for my Coolpix 5700 and it causes barrel distorion in the center that gave a fish-eye look and CA around the edges. There is no way I would want this on my D70s. http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=87069

Nothing can beat the real thing!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:27 AM   #7

Ya I just gave up and bought the sigma 10-20mm, It was definitely worth the 700$ CAD it came out to (After tax).

though the sigma 20, 24 and 28mm F1.8's are a viable option anyway, they are around 400-500$ CAD, so its not TOO bad.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:18 AM   #8

Good choice! I've been very pleased with the results from mine. For example: http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=108040 http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=108039
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote