Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:24 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a D50 body now which will end up as backup body when we buy the D80 next year. I'm tired of waiting for the 18-200 mm VR lens, so need good but not bank-breaking walkaround lens. How does the little 28-200 G compare to the 55-200 mm kit lens? It seems to have appeared and disappeared rather quickly. I rarely use wideangles but thought the difference in 10 mm might make some difference in case I needed the space.

Thanks in advance,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2

Both the 28-200mm G and 55-200mm DX are extremely good lenses for their low price. Both are sharp, especially when stopped down, and offer good color. The 28-200mm G is supposedly one of the low-price gems in the Nikkor lineup. The 55-200mm DX may not be wide enough for general walk-around purposes but would match well with an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5. If you're going to be using 2 lenses then the Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO is another great bargain with more reach. The Nikkor 70-300mm offerings (the G and the ED) seem to get soft past 200mm.

I've never been overly impressed with the 18-200mm VR considering its price... especially since I was able to get a Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 28-80mm f/2.8, and 80-200mm f/2.8 for the price of an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR on eBay. There are also good things floating around about the Tamron and Sigma 18-200mm offerings. I just really can't see myself spending $700 - $1000 on a variable aperature super zoom.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:33 AM   #3

Tired of waiting? There are plenty on sale on Ebay so there is no reason to wait. Some of the prices aren't bad especially by european standards but expensive by american standards if you live there. If you live there I can understand the frustration. I buy most of my lenses from Hong Kong and save a fortune although ofr the 200/400 it was cheaper to fly to New York and buy than to buy even from Hong Kong!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:44 AM   #4

I was happy with My 24/120 Nikon "VR" lens on My D100. It is a very good sharp, color crisp lens and can be bought on E-Bay pretty cheap now.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:38 PM   #5

I got tired of waiting for the 18-200mm VR lens to and got the older 24-120mm VR lens after my colleague showed me many shots using it. It does its job admirably for about $500 retail.

Some of the 18-200mm VR lenses on ebay have international warranties, not U.S. warranties. Nikon is strict about enforcing warranty. If you live in the U.S. and get a lens that has the international warranty, you won't be able to get service.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:42 PM   #6

I'm sure the 24/120 will serve you very well. I used mine for everything for a couple of years with no complaints. I was lucky and bought my 18/200 "VR" with my D200. I still had to wait two weeks for the lens after my camera purchase. They seem to be making the 18/200 in Japan as well as Thailand now so the wait should subside pretty soon. Mine is made in Thailand and My friend bought one at Best Buy that was made in Japan. Quality is exactly the same for each lens. Only difference is the Tag on the bottom telling where each was made.

He had one on order from Ritz for two months and was walking through Best Buy and seen one just sitting there for sale and bought it $899.00. He went home and canceled the one from Ritz. I guess you just gotta keep your eye's peeled at the big box stores if you want one.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

I'm new to digital SLR zooms after experience with primes years ago and a Canon A700 point and shoot which spoiled me. Bird photos at 210 mm were noisy but sharp and well detailed.

I'm currently having a horrible experience with another brand of camera's 50-200 mm kit lens. The blasted thing simply will not autofocus consistently at the 200 mm end, and it's still hit and miss with shutter speeds above 1/500 and f-8-11 at ISO 400. When I test Nikon zooms in the future, will I encounter the same problem? I'm about to return nameless brand to get a D50, but I don't want to be disappointed and have unrealistic expectations. What parameters should I use to test these lenses?

Forgive my newbie ignorance and thanks again for your help in advance,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:02 AM   #8

I've been waiting for the 18-200 VR since May and after reading some posts here contacted Nikon. I received the following answer this morning:

"The lens is definitely in production. The lens was originally made at the Nikon factory in Japan. Now the lens is made at the Nikon factory in Thailand. The factory in Thailand is a Nikon facility, not an outsource. There is no difference in the quality."

For what it's worth ...
susiray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:48 PM   #9

I have several combinations of "consumer" and "professional" lenses I use as required for work or desired for play. I am and have been using the Sigma 18-125/3.5-5.6 as a walkaround lens since Januaury of 2005. When I want a compact kit using 62mm filters, I add the discontinued 70-210/4-5.6 AFD Nikkor for more reach with pro grade contrast and resolution at F8.0-11. In the last month the 105/2.8G AFS VR Micro Nikkor has replaced my 60/2.8 AFD Micro Nikkor in this combo.
EdMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:20 PM   #10

Nikon probably won't be making enough to meet demand for a few months yet.

susiray wrote:
Quote:
I've been waiting for the 18-200 VR since May and after reading some posts here contacted Nikon. I received the following answer this morning:

"The lens is definitely in production. The lens was originally made at the Nikon factory in Japan. Now the lens is made at the Nikon factory in Thailand. The factory in Thailand is a Nikon facility, not an outsource. There is no difference in the quality."

For what it's worth ...
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote