Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:12 PM   #1

Has anyone used any Phoenix brand screw-on lenses/filters? I was out and about yesterday looking for a 6T close-up attachment lens for my D50 and one of the stores I went into recommended this lens as an alternative.

http://www.phoenixcorp.com/Digital_I...ngle_58mm.html

It comes in 2 pieces. Both pieces together make it a 0.6 wide angle adjuster. Taken apart, it is also a Macro adjuster.

I'm just wondering, for $90 would it be worth it to buy this? Is the quality decent? Will it severly degrade my Wide Angle shots?

I don't do Macro shots a lot, but I would like to find something relatively cheap to allow me to do so. I can't find the Nikon close-up attachments anywhere and I really don't want to shell out $350 for a prime Macro lens.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:50 AM   #2

Since you brought up Phoenix and Macro I think the best course of action in your budget would be the Phoenix (or Vivitar, same lens, mfg by Cosina) 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro lens. It sells on ebay around $100 and from $120 to $140 from camera shops like B&H and Adorama. It's not the best built but for the price it produces some very good results. It's a 1:2 magnification lens but includes a close-up adapter making it 1:1. I'd say this will give you much better results than a close-up adapter on a non-macro lens.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that lens.
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

Love the Phoenix 100mm Macro!!!! Used it with my D50. It's an older lens, not set up for digital. I had to leave the aperature wide open at 3.5 and then adjust my shutter speed. I just viewed the pictures on the LCD screen to adjust exposure. I have taken over 2000 pictures with this lens. The only problem I had was catching insects in action since the auto focus does not work. I didn't care I just set my focal length and then leaned back and forth to adjust.

I now have the Nikon 60mm Macro my dad got me for my birthday. So the Phoenix has been set aside. I still use it every once in a while because it gives a softer feel than the Nikon, but I have to admit that I have been spoiled by the Nikon Macro.

The Phoenix was great for a jumping off place. I only paid $59 for it and got very outstanding shots. I'll try to get some on this posting. Good Luck!!!

By the way, I may be selling this lens on Ebay so keep an eye out for it!!
Attached Images

LaLaGunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:50 PM   #5

This one I call Sci=Fi
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:52 PM   #6

Second Flower Pic - These were taken outside in the sunlight about 9:00 am.
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:59 PM   #7

Last one -
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

The quality is not great on these downloads, but the prints are very impressive!! Very clean.