Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

I've got the Tamron 18-200 and need to reach out to 400 or 500. I 'm so confused on what will work best on a digital camera. I can't afford the Nikon so I was looking at Sigma, Tamron or Tokina. There is a large range of different prices for the same brand and size. They showD, DG and AT on the suffixso I'm don't know what I would be buying. Please give me any response so I can finally get so telephoto shots.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2
rey

Checkout the companies' websites for the nomenclatures. Most terms are trademarked, so they have to use different terms to say the same thing, like if for digital only, etc.

I don't have any long lens, but it will all depend on your budget. I've read good things about the Bigma (Sigma 50-500). But depending on what you shoot and your budget, you may want a fast tele or can settle with slower lens.

Why don't you tell us your budget and maybe the experts here can tell you what's good.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:39 PM   #3
rey

Oh yeah I forgot, checkout pbase to see how other's pics turned out using a lens you're interested in.
http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:51 PM   #4

Thanks for answering so quickly. I do wildlife photography so i was leaning towards Tokina's 80-400. I thought about one that goes up to 500mm but like the idea of one that cranks down to 80 for the close shot without having to change lens. I also looked at the Sigma 135-500. I never got a reply about the quality of the different brands. I can find either one of these lens for under $700.00. I don't mind spending the money if it is a good, workable lens. I'm afraid to skimp and have something unuseable on the shelf. Thanks for the input and web site.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:37 PM   #5

You're right, there are alot of choices out there. I picked up a Tamron 200-400 for those situations where extra reach was needed. It was a decent value at a bit over $200 used. Remember with any lens this long, you will need a sturdy tripod. It is very difficult to handhold these supertele's and get consistant results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I just took delivery of a Tokina 80-400 lens yesterday. I haven't had a chance to shoot any pictures yet but I think it will work out good. Being able to crank it down to 80mm will be a plus not to have to change the lens so offen in the field. Thanks again.