Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:50 AM   #1

I have a Nikon E5900 + 512MB SD memory.(NCP)
Recently a friend give me a 1GB SD Memory (Kingston)

Initially , the 1GB card can be use on my Nikon 5900, work happy without problem.

After some use (a few week) , the camera reject the card with message "Card Cannot Be used".
However, the 1GB SDcard still can be read /write//format / using USB Card reader with PC.
I have try to format the 1GB card using USB Card reader, reset camera, but when insert to camera,
message "Card Cannot Be used" display.

My original 512Mb SD card still can be use and accept by the Nikon 5900, without problem.

Since this 1GB is a present from a friend & purchase from other country, so it is hard for me to get a replacement.
Help, anybody has encounter similar problem?
What is wrong? It is due to 1GB card problem or my Nikon 5900?
Or I need to update firmware of E5900? ( Current firmware : E5900 Ver 1.2 )

Thank you,

picflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Administrator

picflash wrote:
Quote:
I have try to format the 1GB card using USB Card reader, reset camera, but when insert to camera,
message "Card Cannot Be used" display.
Make sure to select FAT as the file system type from the drop down menu when using Windows to format a card. Otherwise, Windows will default to a 32 Bit FAT, which is *not* compatible with your camera.

After formatting with a card reader using FAT, I'd make sure to reformat with your camera's menus for format before using it again.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try Panasonic's Secure Digital Formatter utility:

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/c...formatter.html

If that still doesn't work, there are a few more things you can try (deleting the existing partition and recreating one). But, that gets a bit more complex to do.

I'd try reformatting using FAT as the File System Type with your card reader as a first step (since if you didn't choose FAT as the File System Type when formatting, it's not supposed to work with your camera). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:05 AM   #3

Thanks for replying.

I have try FAT and both FAT32, but none is work.

Will try the Panasonic's Secure Digital Formatter utility, hope it solved .

Will let you know the latest result. Thank you.

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:28 AM   #4

Have try the formater utility, still doesn't work.

Can you show me how to deleting the existing partition and recreating one?

Thank you,

Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:55 AM   #5
Administrator

Check the lock/unlock switch on the side of the card and make sure it's in the unlock position. Move it back and forth if it is already unlocked to make sure the switch isn't sticking on it. Then, see if you can format it using Windows (format it as FAT).

The card appears to be formatted as FAT already. So, the camera should be able to use it.

If that doesn't work, I have not tried removing and recreating the partition on an SD card before. So, try this at your own risk. See the instructions for using Ranish partition manager in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

Only, use FAT as the file system type when creating a new partition with Microsofts Parition Wizard, leaving cluster size at defaults (your camera is not compatible with FAT32).

Now, it could be a defective card, too (or it may just not be compatible with your camera). That happens from time to time. Personally, I avoid Kingston memory, since some of their cards tend to have some compatiblity and speed issues with KM cameras (and I've got a Konica Minolta KD-510z and a KM Maxxum 5D). But, it works OK in some cameras.

Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #6

Itbecame worst now.

I try the WinXp Disk Management , format using differet cluster size, when choosing 16K , it tell not support,
later the card is only show 36MB, not able to write, try to format, it tell write protect...even it is not.

Will try the partition tools, hope it can cure.
Or any other low level format utilty / Fdisk can be use?

When using my original 512Mb with Disk managment, it show FAT32., Does it mean my camera E5900 is support FAT32?

Old Sep 7, 2006, 12:35 AM   #7
Administrator

picflash wrote:
Quote:
Itbecame worst now.

I try the WinXp Disk Management , format using differet cluster size, when choosing 16K , it tell not support,
later the card is only show 36MB, not able to write, try to format, it tell write protect...even it is not.
Why did you try a different cluster size? I would have left at the defaults and let Windows decide formatting it as FAT.

I just checked a card that I formatted with Windows as FAT, and it used an 8192 byte cluster size. There are pros and cons to different sizes (with a con being that you'll use more space with larger cluster sizes, unless your file size is evenly divisble by the cluster size, since even one byte over will use another cluster worth of space).

It shouldn't have made any difference though (and it looks like the Panasonic formatter was using a 16K cluster size) . But, I'd let Windows choose it when formatting as FAT (that's why I suggested leaving the cluster size at defaults).

You may want to try formatting it again. Select FAT as the File System Type, and leave the cluster size on default and see what happens. I'd uncheck the "quick format" box so that it performs a full format.

As for your Nikon supporting FAT32, that would surprise me. But, it's possible if you see another card working formatted that way working in it. A 512MB card (or any card 2GB or smaller) would have come from the factory formatted with a 16 Bit FAT (FAT as far as Windows is concerned). So, that's the way I'd try to get it working. Then, let the camera reformat it after you get it to recognize the card.

Note that the card could be defective, too. ;-) But, if Windows works with it fine, then it sounds like a partitioning/formatting issue to me (since the card previously worked in the camera). If the card wouldn't have worked originally, then a compatibility problem would be the most likely suspect (that happens with some cards and cameras, too).

I've been fooling around with cards a lot testing Linux distros that can boot from them lately.

And, generally, all I need to do when I have a problem where my cameras won't recognize a card is the procedure I mentioned using Ranish (change the IPL type to standard to overwrite the Master Boot Record, delete all partitions, save changes, then use Windows Disk Admin Partition Wizard to create a partition and format it as FAT.