Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:34 PM   #1

Default alert, coolpix defects?

Coolpix 5000 defects? Starting June1 I have returned 3 Coolpix 5000's. Two to Harmony in Brooklyn and one to Ritz Camera in Brandon, Fl.
The latest was the replacement of the one returned to Ritz this AM (#3). #4 seemed to work fine in the store, but has developed on/off problems. Battery has to be removed for 10 seconds with switch in off position before camera can be turned back on by replacing battery and turning it on. Other three had variations of same problem. any ideas?

CP5000 CLEARED OF WRONGDOING!!

Finally tracked problem to faulty Dane Elec compact flash card. Nikon tech support had not heard of cards causing this problem. Works fine with new card, problems re-appear with old card.
Folks at Dane Elec were very helpful and are replacing the bad card
[Edited on 7-13-2002 by sweetcraver]

[Edited on 7-17-2002 by sweetcraver]

[Edited on 7-17-2002 by sweetcraver]
sweetcraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:54 PM   #2

Don't tell me this.

I was going to get the CP 5000 in a few days. Is there anyone out there that has not had problems with the CP 5000? I would like to know before I get one.
Liger ZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3

Default It's fine

I'm not sure what the reasons were that Liger returned the other cameras. Talk to Larry Berman and check out his site. The cameras are great! EVERY manufacturer will have a certain percentage of failures "out of the box". Check out the Nikon Talk forum at www.dpreview.com as well for other comments.

Here is Larry Bermans website. The pictures that the camera can take are amazing and no other has the wide angle like the 5000!

Click on the gallery of the "Southwest" CP5000 gallery.

http://bermangraphics.com/
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 1:43 PM   #4

Default Coolpix 5000

I've owned the 5000 since December and had no trouble with it.

At first, I didn't like the camera because it felt so differnt from the previous coolpix body, and the new control set-up took getting used to. But now I'm an ardent fan. The images are outstanding, the 3 user memory settings VERY helpful, the relatively wide angle zoom (28mm equivalent) so useful I don't want to switch to the 5700. I like its small size, etc. My only compaint is the necessity of adaptor rings for filters.

I love the camera and think you will too.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote