Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 30, 2003, 11:44 PM   #1

Default CoolPix 4500 macro problem

Today, it was nice out for a change, so I thought I'd experiment with another 4500 feature, this time the macro capability (0.8 in.?). I was nowhere near that close to the subject (a flower of some kind); zoomed out to 155 mm; and the camera refused to auto-focus, as indicated by the blinking AF light. I tried various flowers, but it still wouldn't auto-focus. While the day was warm, the sun wasn't especially bright, so I doubt sunlight was the problem. I suppose I could have manually focused, but I wanted to use the AF feature instead. *Anyhow*, what have others here done in this situation (macro mode/lens won't focus)?

As always, many thanks. I'm enjoying the learning process and features on this camera, but this issue has me stumped.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 4:10 AM   #2

Default Re: CoolPix 4500 macro problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlz
this time the macro capability (0.8 in.?). I was nowhere near that close to the subject (a flower of some kind); zoomed out to 155 mm; and the camera refused to auto-focus, as indicated by the blinking AF light.
When you use the macro mode and expect to have a 2cm focusing distance, the macro icon (i.e., a flower) should be in yellow. This means the camera lens should be zoomed somewhere in the middle. Once you zoom the lens out of this range to the tele end, subject-camera distance increases as well. If you prefer to have a longer subject-camera distance, you might want to consider the use of close-up lenses. Take a look at the Close-Up page of my Coolpix 2500 user guide to see how to use close-up lenses. My 4500 user guide will have a much expanded section in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlz
I tried various flowers, but it still wouldn't auto-focus. While the day was warm, the sun wasn't especially bright, so I doubt sunlight was the problem. I suppose I could have manually focused, but I wanted to use the AF feature instead.
Nikon's Coolpix cameras use contrast detection for autofocus. Therefore, the scene must have sufficient contrast to lock on your subject. The the focus bracket area is all of the same color, AF will fail no matter if it is strong sunlight of moon-light.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 7:19 AM   #3
NHL

Lack of contrast is one factor, but when you're that close any movement is also magnified: handshake, slight breeze etc (that the AF has to track just like any action shot).

A small tripod might be another consideration...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 9:18 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you.

CK, as a matter of fact, sometime after I posted my question, I went to your site...great site, btw! Using one of your tips there, I have White Balance-Bracketed set in one of my three User Settings. Ah, the fun of experimenting!

NHL, yeah, I need at least a 'body pod,' and I intend to get a tele-converter sometime down the road, too.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote