Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 1, 2003, 3:28 AM   #1

Default NIKON 4300 night shot

I've a mini tripod which is matchable with my Nikon 4300. Do we really have to depend on the tripod everytime the night scene is taken?? I heard by setting the ISO to certain level it may help too without having the tripod? Is there any other method to do a nice night shot? Thanks.
vuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:23 AM   #2

Hi VUZU

I almost never use tripods for nightshots. I use a lille bag with rice in to put under the lens. it works very well - but most of the time I just find a place to put the camera and then use the timer.

Many people think it's the best time to shoot nightshots at night - it's certainly not. The best time of day is just when the dark starts to come, while the sky still is blue. This time a day is the best! But the problem is, that all the beautyfull light always becomes powered up, when the darkness has fallen.

But you should try that time of day - crank up the iso to 800 - turn noisereduction on and take some freehand shots.

regards
Klaus
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2003, 7:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for your experienced advise, probably I'll give it a try also. Well, I'm thinking to upgrade my camera CF memory card from 16MB to 256MB. My question is would that be any different between the speed of the Compact Flash memory card? In order to preserve my battery, should I just turn on whenever a shot is taking or any good ideas from you? According to a forum, optical view finder will play a part to save my battery, HOW?? I thought view finder can only be used under Manual mode.
Thanks.
vuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:43 AM   #4

I dont think a larger CF card will use more power than a litte one and you certainly wont notice it!
If you have power saving options in your menu, you may be able to save a lot of power by using this option depending on how it work. It obvious that the camera uses a lot of power zooming in and out and having the LCD turned on. If you powersaving function can turn off the LCD (huge power consumption) and prevent the lens from going in and out - you will be better of letting it stay turned on. You have to check the manual and the menu for these abilities.
You optical viewfinder can't be turned off (did you mean the LCD screen on the back perhaps?) and are consuming absolutely no power - UNLESS it an electronic viewfinder - and as far as I know it NOT.
Hope that helped!

Regards
Klaus
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 2:02 PM   #5

yes, turning off the lcd and using the optical viewfinder saves so much power, but since it is an optical viewfinder, and not an electronic viewfinder it is somewhat slow. I have the 4300, and with a Viking 128mb compactflash card, it can take up to 4 seconds to begin autofocus after i had pressed the shutter halfway down. With the lexar card that came with the camera it was only about 2 seconds.

If you buy a bigger card, viking cards are quite cheap at amazon.com, and have an average speed rate, but spend a few more bucks and get a lexar.
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote