Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:41 AM   #1
LFO

Default coolpix 885 system error

My brand new 885 has just stopped working. While trying to take a close up picture, it couldn't focus properly, and then the display said system error!
I can't get this message to dissapear, and hence cant use the camera. I've tried to reset the internal battery by leaving the camera on without the battery in, but this didn't help.
Any suggestions or experiences before I ship it back to the store?
LFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:38 PM   #2

I have a 775...at the beach the other day and when I came home same thing happened to me. What I think happened is that the camera got a piece of sand in the lens area that impeded the lens from moving. I hit the camera against my hand a few times and then turned it on and off, trying to get it to move the lens. Voila...it finally came loose.
PeterGibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 4:39 AM   #3

Have the same problem with my coolpix 885. It shown "system error" when I have connected through the USB port to another laptop. Camera looks to be dead. It is defenitely not the issue with any mechanical issues (sand). Will appreciate if someone could advise how to reset the camera or solve this issue somehow avoiding the service center (not avalable in my country). thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterGibbons
I have a 775...at the beach the other day and when I came home same thing happened to me. What I think happened is that the camera got a piece of sand in the lens area that impeded the lens from moving. I hit the camera against my hand a few times and then turned it on and off, trying to get it to move the lens. Voila...it finally came loose.
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 3:05 AM   #4

Default 885 System error

I had the same problem once and I managed to clear it. How long did you leave the battery out? You need to leave it out long enough for any settings to be reset (e.g. date/time). This can take 8hours+.

Good luck
robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 2:23 AM   #5

thanks robinm,

I t may clear the date/time, but I assume the "system error" woun't be solved by just unplugging the battery. The issue is still open, awaiting for help. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:05 AM   #6

Default 885 system error

Removing the battery DOES clear some System Errors, but it needs to be removed for some time - that's why I mentioned the date/time. Try it - you've not lost anything and it may well fix it.
robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:35 AM   #7

forgot to mention, the point is that I left it with unplugged battery for three days, it didn't help. need another option
Old Sep 15, 2002, 7:31 AM   #8

Default sand in lens

If you are taking the 885 to the beach or any dusty area, screw on the UR-E4 adapter ring with a filter on the end. This allows the lens to move freely and be totally enclosed and protected
rmottola is offline   Reply With Quote