Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:11 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 5400

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my current Canon S45,for a proconsumer camera,but I am divided among three good contenders the Olympus C5050,the new comer Nikon Coolpix 5400,and the Canon G5 suppose to be here by late June.

Can anyone please advise

Kind Regards

Al
Alain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:44 AM   #2

I own a Canon S230, which is my "take everywhere," "have with me all the time," point and shoot camera. I also want another camera for more serious picture taking. The Canon G5 seems like a great camera but lacks a "real" wide-angle. The Nikon 5400 has a serious 28mm equivalent wide-angle. A lot of novice photographers are enamoured with the telephoto zoom, but the more serious photographer understands the potential of the wide-angle, with it's ability to capture "near/far" and strikingly dynamic compositions with an amazing feeling of depth. Even if the Canon or Olympus camera have a superior feature or two, the built-in wide angle lens, as opposed to an auxilliary lens, decides in Nikon's favor for my needs.

If you don't care for the wide-angle capability, I'd lean toward the Canon.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

Got the same problem, but I will wait a little bit until the first tests are published. Definitly like the zoomrange of the 5400 better but like the bigger lens opening of the G5 as well. What should count in my opinion is speed of the camera in terms of focus and light measuring speed. Some of these cameras are really slow if you come from plain 35 mm.

Hope to hear from you what your final arguments are.
karl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:09 AM   #4

Some online store start selling CP5400, hope steve's result is coming soon.

Steve, can you post some photo of 5400 when you get a production model :P .

I appericate it.
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:03 PM   #5

Default Re: Coolpix 5400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain888
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my current Canon S45,for a proconsumer camera,but I am divided among three good contenders the Olympus C5050,the new comer Nikon Coolpix 5400,and the Canon G5 suppose to be here by late June.

Can anyone please advise

Kind Regards

Al
What a great dilemma to be in. I'm there as well -- the journey's the reward, hey? I'm leaning towards the Nikon, because...well, because I've owned film Nikons and liked their lenses in the past and because of the wider lens. This is my first digital, so I have nothing to compare with. I also have been looking seriously at the Fuji s602 for its ergonomics, speed. Let me know what you decide on. There's still a month or so for deliberation!

Best Regards,

David
davidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:53 AM   #6

Is there any real reason for Nikon to exclude the possibility to use ISO 800 on the 5400? In my humble opinion, it seems rather... stupid.

Anyway, I think I'll be getting a 5400. It'll be my first real camera, so i appreciate the availability of scene settings. As i learn photography better, I'll use the manual settings more, I figure.

Anyhow, what size of CF card would you people recommend me to buy? I figure the 32 MB included is... am... too small =)

I'm considering 256 or maybe 512 MB. 128 seem to be too small.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 4:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes
Is there any real reason for Nikon to exclude the possibility to use ISO 800 on the 5400? In my humble opinion, it seems rather... stupid.

Anyway, I think I'll be getting a 5400. It'll be my first real camera, so i appreciate the availability of scene settings. As i learn photography better, I'll use the manual settings more, I figure.

Anyhow, what size of CF card would you people recommend me to buy? I figure the 32 MB included is... am... too small =)

I'm considering 256 or maybe 512 MB. 128 seem to be too small.
The reason the 5400 is limited to a maximum of ISO 400 (just like the Canon G5) is because it uses a new, smaller 1/1.8 (7.18 x 5.32 mm) CCD. The older Coolpix 5000 uses a larger 2/3 (8.80 x 6.60 mm) CCD. The larger the CCD, the larger the pixels. The larger the pixels, the more sensative the CCD is to light.

The new CCD in the 5400 has a few more pixels than the CCD in the 5000, meaning you'll get slightly better fine details, but you'll get more image noise if you increase the ISO ... which is why they've limited it to 400.

I am also strongly considering the 5400 as a replacement for my current Fuji digicam. However, I need to find out if the 5400 can use spotting scopes like the 5000 could. I need a camera that can be attached to spotting scopes and/or telescopes when needed.

I'm also leaning
rustedborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:03 PM   #8

FYI
256 MB could take aroud 100 pictures at 5 M jpg
It maybe enough, but in case you want movie .........

http://www.simpletech.com/products/c...flash_prox.php

Capacity chart
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:49 AM   #9

I didn't see much of the improvements from the the coolpix 5000 to the 5400 other than the ED lens (this one now compete with the new Sony digicam and the new Canon G5). The LCD screen is smaller now (1.5" vs 1.8"), make it more difficult to view your results. The flash sensor is still on the handgrip, that means no TTL flash ( I kinda like the G5 with their TTL flash option via the 550EX). I think Nikon will probably up-grade the current 5700 soon, and it's a wise choice to wait until this happens... cheers.

For the price you pay in this range, I think the Oplympus C-5050Z is a better value camera (fastest zoom lens in this class)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 3:33 PM   #10

rockp- i find most of the capacity charts highly inaccurate; on most of the ones ive seen for 128mb cards it says 4mp fine mode you only get 66 images, i however get 102
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote