Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:41 PM   #1

Can someone tell me on the coolpix 5600 camera, should I be shooting in High or normal quality which both are 5MP and appear to be the same resolution. I will mostly be making 4x6 and 5x7 prints but might want to make 8x10 or larger sometimes. I noticed I can get about 800 photos using normal and about 405 using high. Please advise the difference and which I should use...

Thanks...

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

Depends how big your memory card is and how many shots you'll be taking till you print them/save them to pc. This kinda apply to all sort of cameras.
For example i got a 1gb SD card, so i always keep all settings to the highest since i only take a few pics at a time, but if i was to go holiday i will probably try to set it to 5mp or even 3mp if i see the memory card isn't going to be enough.
If you want bigger prints choose 5mp- high/fine

rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.. However.. I need to know the answer specifically to this camera. I can either shoot at the 5MP high or 5MP Normal. there are also setting as you mentioned for 3 mega picel etc but I want to shoot 5 MP. I need to know what the difference is between 5MP high and normal on the coolpix 5600. I see there is a difference in file size but I looked at the photo in photoshop and I really do not see a diference..

I am using a 1GB card for which I have 2 of them and also a 256M card..

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:27 AM   #4

The difference between high and normal is the JPEG compression ratio. "High" (quality) uses a lower compression than "normal," resulting in a larger file size but a little higher quality image as JPEG compression is "lossy" the more compression used, the more image data gets compromised.

Likely you won't see any difference between the two settings in a 5x7 print but you might at 8x10 and up.

The general recommendation is to shoot at the highest quality/resolution available to you since you never know when you are going to get that great shot that you want to really blow up. But, if you are really strapped for memory and only plan to print big occasionally, you could get by with shooting normal most of the time. If you want to maximize quality so that you'll be getting the best big prints the camera can deliver, buy some more memory, it's pretty cheap nowadays.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote