Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

Idon't see anything on their website. Have they decided to get out of that market?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes, Nikon and Olympus have both abandoned their line of fixed-lens prosumer cameras in favor of the amateur level dSLR cameras. We thought Canon had done likewise but were pleasantly surprised by their new G7 but no new Pro 1 model.

I use Coolpix 5700 and 8700 models to take our product photos in the reviews. When I knew that Nikon was dropping the 8700/8800 models I bought a couple of spare 8700's and stuck them in the closet.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:44 PM   #3

Hey Steve! I didn't expect you to answer my question Well, that is unfortunate that Nikon and others have stopped manufacturing prosumers, but maybe it is for the best. I have been looking for forever now, trying to decide if I should get a prosumer or a dSLR. I definately recognize the superior quality of dSLRs, but for me, I have concerns that the bulk and complexity may significantly detract from the 'fun-factor' of taking pictures. Anyway, I came across the 8800 while investigating prosumers and liked that it has a 2/3 inch sensor as well as other great features. I was disappointed when I went on Nikon's website only to see a void of prosumer models.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote