Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 18, 2003, 4:33 AM   #11

Default Re: Use lens hood for filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister
From what I can gather from this thread and searching for a Coolpix 5400 filter adapter, you need to buy the lens hood in order to mount expensive and bulky 77mm filters. Don't know why they have to make it so hard.
I don't know either. Started with the 5000 and followed by the 5700, Nikon decided to use tubes for mounting accessories which is very inconvenient. Worse, due to the lens design of the 5700, the wide angle lens WC-E80 is huge and heavy, and can only reduce the wide angle side to 28mm. For some strange reason I don't know, Nikon decided to make the 5400 sharing lenses with the 5700. This means we need to carry a hugh glass (i.e., WC-E80) for the 5400 to 22mm. All the advantages the 5000 has in terms of ultra wide angle (i.e., 19mm) are gone! I have no appetite to buy a 5400. Period.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:42 PM   #12

Actually the 77mm lense hood is not so bad for me, I use a lot of cokin P series filters on my 35mm stuff and cokin has a 77mm adapter ring for the P series. :P

I am having a bit of trouble finding something to let me attach the 5400 to a t-thread scope.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 3:53 PM   #13

Repost from another thread:

Sunpak seems to have solved my problem, of having to buy a clunky lens shade (though they have their uses) and 77mm filters just to use a polarizer on my Nikon 5400.

Nikon pisses me off. I suspect this design was deliberate, to force consumers to buy a Nikon lens shade and expensive 77mm filters, some of which will be Nikon brand. The lens shade/filter system makes for a bulky package on a compact camera.

Sunpak has a new line of "PicturePlus, Quick-Mount" filters that mounts on threaded and non-threaded lenses using spring loaded ball bearings. I should be able to use the cheaper, smaller filters without a lens shade.

Get back to you if I get more info.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 5:29 PM   #14

There are also the snapon filter adapters from nextphoto.

http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/order5400.htm
Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:37 PM   #15

PeterP,

Thanks for the link! I can't decide whether to buy the new Sunpak snap-on filters or the Nextphoto snap-on adapter. Hmmm... I might get one of each - buy a Sunpak snap-on polarizer, because I use that often, and buy the adapter so I have a wider choice of less frequently used filters which need to be screwed onto the adapter everytime...or I could get an adapter for each filter (expensive)...and so on. This is what makes photography fun.

The NextPhoto website recommends getting the 46mm adapter to prevent vignetting with a polarizer. Too bad they don't make a 49mm adapter then I could use my Pentax filters. I could get a 46mm to 49mm adapter but that would be too complicated and inelegant a solution.

I encourage everyone to avoid the Nikon lens shade/ 77mm route unless you require a lens shade or are using 77mm filters for compatibility with other cameras. Man, Nikon really pisses me off. But in a free market, someone like NextPhoto will fill the need. In the end, Nikon will fail to realize sales from their unsavory and bulky filter attachment scheme, and instead gain ill will from their customers.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:14 PM   #16

I sent the nextphoto place a question on future avability of 49mm adapter for the 5400.

That is the one I need to bolt a 49mm B&W 093(infrared) filter to the 5400.

Will post their reply when I get it.

But they do have the T-Thread adapter I need to bolt the 5400 to my scopes.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 3:48 AM   #17

Hmmm, the snap-on filters sound interesting. I don't suppose you have a link to further information about them?

/JonesH
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:04 PM   #18

I got Bernie Hines 46mm adapter. It works great with a polarizer. No vignetting at wide angle. I am using a 46mm - 52mm step up adapter with a metal wide angle lens hood. The added step up ring gives a little and I mean little vignetting at 28mm. I just zoom out to about 30mm. Not much to get rid of it. This is without the polarizer. Can't use both the polarizer and lens hood as there is definetly too much vignetting to adjust for. Have ordered a 46mm - 55mm step up ring to see if my larger metal wide angle lens hood will work with polarizer without much vignetting. Know the ring will cause a little but would like to use both a polarizer and a lens hood.

If Bernie makes a 49mm adapter it may solve the problem with adding a both a polarizer and a lens hood.

Wayne
wwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:41 PM   #19

I'm getting one of those adapters but I'm also interested in trying the new Sunpak Quick Mount. Anybody know the "thread" size of the Nikon 5400 lens? I measured mine with a ruler and it sizes out to about 33mm. But I could be wrong and it might be something weird like 33.5mm or 32.5mm. Anybody know?

Hmmm. I remeasured the front of the 5400 lens. It seems about 32.5mm. Sunpak has a 30.5mm and 37mm mount so I'm back to the adapter.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:18 PM   #20

Default Latest info

I was just about to post the same question when I saw this thread. What is the concensus from all those who were going to try different solutions?

Thanks in advance. [email protected]
hhhenry is offline   Reply With Quote