Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:46 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5400 lens thread size?

Hi Steve or anyone who knows:
Is 5400 lens threaded? If so, what is the filter size? Thanks.

I am choosing between G3 vs 5400 ($530 vs $630). Any input is also welcome. The plus for G3 is that it can share 58mm filters and 420EX with my ElanIIe. The plus for Nikon is its incredible macro capability and the 28mm wideangle.
jjsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:02 PM   #2

$630? probably gonna be more than that i think...

i cant quite give you my own personal opinion on both these cameras cause i dont even know myself which one i want, but if you do want the wider angle and the great close-ups definitely go with the nikon
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 1:23 AM   #3

Default Re: Nikon 5400 lens thread size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsf
Is 5400 lens threaded? If so, what is the filter size?
Like other Coolpix 5xxx cameras, the 5400 has no filter thread on its lens. Just take a look at the photo and you will find this out. To the best of my knowledge, only the 9xx/4500 cameras have lens thread. To use add-on lenses, one must buy Nikon's adapter (another way of making money) because Nikon does not use "standard" size threads! Sooner or later, third party better adapter will become available, if you can wait.

Quote:
I am choosing between G3 vs 5400 ($530 vs $630). Any input is also welcome. The plus for G3 is that it can share 58mm filters and 420EX with my ElanIIe. The plus for Nikon is its incredible macro capability and the 28mm wideangle.
$630 for a 5400????

As mentioned above, third party adapters will be out for mounting filters and add-on lenses. This happened before when Nikon released Coolpix 5000 and 5700. The 5000 needs a Nikon 46mm adapter to use lenses and filters, which is still acceptable. The 5700 uses a 50mm(?) thread size which is non popular at all. Well, a couple of months later, a popular Coolfix adapter appeared which has a standard 62mm size. So, just don't worry and be patient. :lol:

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 5:27 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the info

Thank you both for the information. Yeah I don't understand the technical difficulties in making threaded lens in the p/s digi or film cameras. It's just another way of making money, and usually the cost of adaptor / camera is way out of proportion.

I preordered the 5400 from dell using the coupons (effectively 27.75% off, $625 shipped) I don't know when the NikonUSA shipping date or Dell shipping date will be, but for that much saving, I will be patient if they ship it. Also I think the fact that 5400 starts at 28mm and that a polarizer is less desirable on a relatively slower lens, I can be patient waiting for better / cheaper 3rd party adaptors.

And Shene, thanks for providing your web site. It's great!!!
Old Jun 14, 2003, 7:08 PM   #5

Default dell is having double 15% discount again.

Dell is offering double 15% discount on cameras again. No coupons required.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:22 AM   #6

Default dell 15%+15% off detail (it may still work)

I got a $580 Nikon 5400 from Dell

"
Stackable 5% off coupon for Dell Business, Jun 15
Make the current 15% + 15% off deal hotter!

Visit Dell Small Business and setup a new account by selecting Register Now in the left hand column. Send yourself or others 5 coupons! If you have an account with Dell Biz, just put the email address onto the end of the following link.

Copy the link below into your browser and Paste the email address you setup the account with, onto the end of this link.

http://dell1.m0.net/m/p/del/smb/ftaf.asp?e=

You'll get this error if you use an email address that doesn't have a Dell account: "You can access this page only from your e-mail."

Dell Small Biz ACC 15% + 15% Discount, Jun 14
Update: Deal dead now.

Dell Small Biz Software & Peripherals has 15% off most accessories, excludes Dell LCDs and printers. Items will add to your cart with the discount in the price. Free shipping $50+

An automatic 15% off ADDITIONAL when you login to start check out! Hurry, this will not last!

Clear your browser's cookies if you do not see the discount! (Everything that contains Dell) You need to start fully logged out of your account, then add the items to your cart. When you login, the item's price will change to the 15% off price and say Was: XXXX. ANOTHER 15% discount will show up!
"

Steve:
I post it because somebody asked,
It is not an Ads.
copy from www.dealsea.com
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:26 PM   #7

Thanks so much for this information, you have all saved me a lot of money on my Nikon 5400 purchase :lol:
wrckiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:21 PM   #8

Default Re: Thanks for the info

Quote:
I preordered the 5400 from dell using the coupons (effectively 27.75% off, $625 shipped) I don't know when the NikonUSA shipping date or Dell shipping date will be, but for that much saving, I will be patient if they ship it.
EDIT: I wrote this response before seeing the complete details of the deal in the 2 posts below. :roll:

I got in on the Dell deal too and also added another 5% off coupon. In the end, it was $593 after adding on $45 of tax. Mine says estimated shipping date of 6/23/03.

P.S. I ordered my CF card from Dell on 6/15/03, it was shipped on 6/16/03 and I received it today, 6/17/03. Gotta love Dell.
Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 5:07 AM   #9

Default As for the threading...

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the Lens Hood (HN-CP10) for the CP5400 is threaded. 77mm diameter.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:35 AM   #10

Default Use lens hood for filter?

From what I can gather from this thread and searching for a Coolpix 5400 filter adapter, you need to buy the lens hood in order to mount expensive and bulky 77mm filters. Don't know why they have to make it so hard.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote