Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:23 PM   #1

my prob is that the pic project software cd i got with it is a japanese version.

and the main prob is that all my pics get red eye ,even when i use the red eye flash mode...

what to do?????
chain_gang_member is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:01 PM   #2
Administrator

Did you buy it from a reputable vendor?

If not, it may be a gray market camera (not intended for sale in the country you live in)

Sometimes, dealers will import cameras that are not intended for sale in the country they're selling them in. When that occurs, the included items may not match up to what you should get.

BTW, Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Some of the other Nikon regional distributors (for example, Nikon Canada) have the same policy.

So, it's a good idea to check out any vendor you consider using a tool like http://www.resellerratings.com

As a general rule, vendors with significantly lower prices than everyone else are selling gray market cameras and/or there is another catch somewhere (overpriced accessories, extended warranties that may not be worth the paper they're written on, unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, etc.). So, if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the software. I've owned more than one Nikon camera and I've never used their software.

There are many editors available that have a redeye reduction feature and a number of them are free.

One of my favorites for this purpose is Irfanview (it's free). You'll find download links at http://www.irfanview.com (and I'd download the free plugins, too).

Instead of the redeye reduction menu choice, after opening an image, enlarge it (zoom in), then use your mouse cursor to make a small box over the red portion of an eye, go to Image>Effects>Effects Browser and select Redeye Reduction. You can vary the amount applied, depending on how much red there is and you'll see a preview image to help you decide.

As a general rule, the closer the flash is to a camera's lens, the greater the chance you'll get redeye. So, it's a problem with just about any smaller camera. It can also be a problem with larger cameras, even with an external flash if it's not on a bracket that gets it further away from the camera's lens.

Your Nikon does have a built in redeye reduction feature that is enabled when you use the face detection mode (this is in addition to the redeye reduction flash mode).

So, you might want to try using it and see if your results are any better. The button on the left top of the camera is used to turn on face detection (which also turns on the automatic redeye reduction feature).

If it doesn't get all of it, there are many image editors that you can remove it with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

thanks mate a lot!!!!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:08 PM   #4

mate,tried ur irfanview but red eye aint going..want to send u 1 pic but says file too big can u tell me how to compress the pic and sent 2 u....

so that u can try it for me ...infact all my pics i clik now have red eye in it...

is my digicam spoiled???
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:01 PM   #5
Administrator

I got the file you sent me.

All I'm doing is following the same instructions I gave you and removing the redeye.

Quote:
Instead of the redeye reduction menu choice, after opening an image, enlarge it (zoom in), then use your mouse cursor to make a small box over the red portion of an eye, go to Image>Effects>Effects Browser and select Redeye Reduction. You can vary the amount applied, depending on how much red there is and you'll see a preview image to help you decide.
After opening the image you sent me using Irfanview, I zoomed in (using the + choice you'll see in the toolbar), to 200% so that I could see the eyes better.

I then clicked and held my left mouse key to drag a small box around the red areas in one of the eyes.

After that, I selected Image>Effects>Effects Browser and went to Red Eye Reduction. Because of the severity of the redeye, I used a 45 setting (watching the before and after preview boxes to see how much I needed to use).

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:02 PM   #6
Administrator

I then repeated the steps for the other eyes.

Here's your photo after redeye reduction:

Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:03 PM   #7

guys my nikon still has red eyes in every pic

also it happens in day too!!!!1