Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:12 PM   #1

Default Newbie ??? regarding macros with CP 4500

Hello, I just got the Nikon Coolpix 4500 for my first camera. I am going to use it to photograph inventory for a web site. The products we are selling are pretty small (automobile locks and keys). My question is which mode is the best for taking macros. I've used the automatic macro setting as well as P* mode. I've had pretty good results in both but I was wondering if there was a better method. I'm just using the camera stock with no add-ons. Also, which programs are easiest/best for photo editing? Thanks for the help --P
pfrancis365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:51 PM   #2

Use the P mode with the macro setting turned on.

If you can, get a tripod (even a mini tripod will do since the lens swivels) and make sure the area is very bright.

Your best focus is when the zoom is about half way (optical zoom, that is)

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 7:41 PM   #3

Default Re: Newbie ??? regarding macros with CP 4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrancis365
My question is which mode is the best for taking macros. I've used the automatic macro setting as well as P* mode. I've had pretty good results in both but I was wondering if there was a better method. I'm just using the camera stock with no add-ons.
My recommendation is the following: Aperture-Priority mode, a small aperture, zooming to the middle when the flower turns yellow, and a tripod. Photoshop Element V2 may be easy to use. Or, you might consider Paint Shop Pro.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:05 AM   #4

Thanks for both suggestions, I will practice with them both. Do you have a recomendation for a good small tripod? And also when using a small aperture setting the number in the aperture setting should be larger? Is this correct? Thanks, P
pfrancis365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 1:25 AM   #5

The tripod I use is a 5" tripod- the legs flex so they can be moved out of the way when need be--- it was $4... you can try a camera shop or there are plenty on ebay... like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3325

Of course, you can get one that moves the camera's angle, but the swiveling lens makes that unnecessary.

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote