Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 28, 2003, 3:43 AM   #11

but it still sounds wrong to me, as you had ALREADY ordered the camera. it may say price subject to change, but i didn't think you were allowed to do that after the order had been placed...

oh well, i was considering buying one, but i don't want to spend that much on it now...
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrckiwi
no worries - it was certainly worth the try at that price. I can't wait for the 5400 to arrive - I have bought the lens hood, case, Ultra Memory, spare EN-EL1 and a SB-50DX flash, all I need is the camera now.
Hello, I am new here and this is my first message. I was wondering why didn't you choose 5700 ? its price is not much higher than what you pay for 5400? I am ready to buy 5700 but I don't have a lot of knowledge about cameras. But I am a computer tech so I am kinda familiar with the terms and stuff. So should I go with 5400?
Thanks.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 7:00 PM   #13

I seriously considered the 5700 but everywhere I looked to find a low priced new one the bizrate.com ratings said the dealers where not reputable. It mainly turned out to be a price decision because I think the lowest I could get one was for about $899. I had also read a few of the other comments and they had said that the 5400 used newer technology - I liked the additional features the 5400 had in the macro, still video, video, etc department
wrckiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 1:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender
I am ready to buy 5700 but I don't have a lot of knowledge about cameras. But I am a computer tech so I am kinda familiar with the terms and stuff. So should I go with 5400?
The choice between 5000/5400 and 5700 boils down to your need. The 5000/5400 is basically a wide angle camera. There are only a handful digital cameras can go as wide as 28mm without any converter lens, and the 5000 and 5400 are two of them. (The third one is Minolta's D7.) With a converter, the 5000 and 5400 can be as wide as 19mm and 24mm, respectively. So, if wide angle photography is what you will be doing, the 5000 (if you can find one) plus WC-E68 is the ONLY choice among all digital cameras. The 5400 uses 5700's wide angle converter WC-E80 which is HUGH and HEAVY and can only go down to 24mm. On the other hand, the 5700 is basically a telephoto camera. Its 8X zoom can go up to 280mm. However, with WC-E80 the 5700 can only do down to 28mm. The Minolta D7 and its new models cover the most commonly used focal length 28mm-200mm without using a converter lens. Thus, if 28-200 is the range you use most of the time, you might also include Minolta D7 in your final list.

The reason I pick focal length is because without a usable focal length, a camera is useless no matter how good it is.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:04 AM   #15

Default Waov shene !

Hey thanks for your reply, I really didn't know the points you just throw.. I have to admit buying a good camera is not that easy job..
Basically I can't go over 1000 bucks and I want to get the best camera I can.. I love to take macro pictures, and also I would like to take pictures in my fatherinlaws ranch. Which probably I am gonna need need a lots of zoom power. Also recording movie with sound was a plus. Not a huge reason to prefer but still.. These were my basic points to go with 5700.. I will check 5400's again and dimage7. if you have other ideas please share and brighten me. Thanks again.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrckiwi
I seriously considered the 5700 but everywhere I looked to find a low priced new one the bizrate.com ratings said the dealers where not reputable. It mainly turned out to be a price decision because I think the lowest I could get one was for about $899. I had also read a few of the other comments and they had said that the 5400 used newer technology - I liked the additional features the 5400 had in the macro, still video, video, etc department
at inoax.com its 869.00 I don't know if the place is trustable though.. I was gonna get one from newegg.com for 899.00. I bought lots of computer parts from them, I never had any problem..