Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 21, 2003, 1:37 PM   #1

Default CF Card for Coolpix 5700?

I'm looking at getting a 512Mb CF card for the 5700.
Is the standard 512Mb SANDISK fast enough?
Would the IBM 1Gb microdrive be suitable (does it need more power?)
What about the reliability of the MD against knocks and bumps?

Thanks for your help here. This is my firest post here.
/Chris,
Melbourne, Victoria (AU)
crispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2003, 3:23 PM   #2

Thanks to NHL I have found new speed in my 5700. Nikon has by default crippled an otherwise fantastic camera.

With the default settings and using 2560x1920 Fine JPG as an example I have to wait 3 - 4 seconds before I can even think about taking another shot.
When I switch to Quick Shutter Release I can take 7 to 8 photos using 2560x1920 Fine JPG in a row before the internal memory buffer fills up

:: by the way, anyone know how big the internal buffer is? ::

I used the stock Nikon (Lexar) 32MB card and a 256MB SanDisk Ultra using the alternative setting and there was no difference in speed. In other words, the 'XXx' rating on the CF card means nothing when using the 5700.

Nikon has the setting located in Set-Up 1 > Monitor Options > Shutter Release Speed >

Normal (default) or Quick Shutter Release

Definalty switch it over to Quick Shutter Release 8)
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 4:09 PM   #3

the MD reqs about 10x more power to spin the drive. that would not affect your camera too much if you have the grip and batteries setup.

sandisk blue/red label cf cards are about the slowest cards on the market i do believe that they would have a negative affect on the xfr performance on the 5700. if you are looking for a solid state answer i suggest delkin or lexar over sandisk any day. service alone is worth the money lifetime warranty to my 512MB delkin pro has just been replaced with no hassle. try finding a customer support # for sandisk.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:04 PM   #4
NHL

Once more... If jpegs are the only picture files type you'll be using then speed is not a factor including the standard red and blue Sandisk! This also hold true for my 10D... Most cameras will buffer up the small jpeg files and write them out at a slower pace to the flash card:
Quote:
I used the stock Nikon (Lexar) 32MB card and a 256MB SanDisk Ultra using the alternative setting and there was no difference in speed. In other words, the 'XXx' rating on the CF card means nothing when using the 5700.
The speed rating only comes into play if raw or tiff modes are selected when the size of the picture files completely overwhelm a camera's internal buffer. :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:13 PM   #5

have you tried a sandisk red and blue in your 7i. you could go out and get a cup of coffee before it done taking a xfr of any type. i'm sorry but an 8x card will transfer faster then that card. but then thats just an opinion backed up by a little use.

the stock 32MB card from lexar is a 8x or 12x the sandisk ultra is a 12x having reach xfr max speed on the camera which is about 8x, your right you won't see a speed difference. but the baseline sandisk is even slower then these mentioned cards.

of course that explains the same xfr rates of both raw and jpg on your 10D for most cards
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Most cameras will buffer up the small jpeg files and write them out at a slower pace to the flash card:

The speed rating only comes into play if raw or tiff modes are selected when the size of the picture files completely overwhelm a camera's internal buffer. :P
What's the internal buffer spec on the 5700???

Thanks/
Chris
crispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
have you tried a sandisk red and blue in your 7i. you could go out and get a cup of coffee before it done taking a xfr of any type.
Yeap - just did, 14s on a 256Mb Sandisk for 3 jpegs pictures (this is an older D7) but I don't have to wait the full 14s since I can keep taking pictures while the camera is writing... Remember theses are just jpeg files! :P

Quote:
What's the internal buffer spec on the 5700???
I don't know, but it sounds like 7-8 x ~2M = ~16Mb :?
Old Jun 22, 2003, 1:49 AM   #8

yeah-3 shots 13.5 sec out of a 7Hi with the lowest compression jpg at highest res. thats only 2.5:1 compression(not available on the 7 or 7i). i guess either they made some minor improvements in the camera or the delkin 640MB card is a tiny bit quicker or both. its all relative. did the test 6 times too(slow night).

i believe the buffer is used 2x. once in pre processing buffer and then again out for queing after processing to the card. then i could be wrong.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 7:51 AM   #9
NHL

BTW the 10D takes 15.9s to flush its buffer with a Lexar WA 40x, same as the microdrive actually, but it's for 9 jpeg pictures instead!

The same red/blue 256Mb Sandisk took 21s to do the same, but then again I had never had to wait since I can take pictures again as soon as the camera start queing the pictures out to the slower card... ie the frame counter increments right up to 9... 8)
Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:01 AM   #10

one cup of coffee please.

BTW in case you want to use your lexar 40x card in a nikon WA camera you might want to read and do this:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6191-6215
i had it done to my (2) 1GB WA cards. it was a fast turnaround about 4 days. new firmware dumped in the card.

that is of course if you have that edge code number set