Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 22, 2003, 2:13 PM   #1

Default Need advice on indoor shots

I just bought a CP4300. I've been trying to get some good indoor/low light shots. I find that using the scene mode is ok for static objects but when there's any movement, I get blurred pictures.

Specifically, I took pictures in a bowling alley. So, there's no option for me to ask the bowlers to pose for me. I've tried setting the shutter speed but it has been unsuccessful so far because the pictures came out totally dark. I found that the auto exposure will bring the shutter speed as low as 1/2 or 1/4 and this will definitely produce blurred pictures.

Since I plan to do a lot of action indoor shots, I might have to consider getting a camera with a shutter-priority feature (something like the Canon A70). But I really like the CP4300. So, if you guys have any tips, would really appreciate it.
harman_faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 5:19 PM   #2

Default Indoor Action

Your problem is that at the ISO setting you are using, there is not enough light to use a higher shutter speed to stop blurring-- switching cameras will not help. You can try the following: Raise ISO-- this alone may solve your problem; Shoot at wideangle which will use the maximum effective aperture for the lens (2.8-- same as almost all digital cameras in the 4300 class); and use flash (max flash power and get close to the subject or use an external flash)-- you may need to do all three. The only way another camera MIGHT help is if you get one with a faster lens than the 2.8/4.6 or so of the 4300 (I think the A70 is the same or close), such as the 2.0/3.0 of the Canon G3
Manoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip, Manoa. After the post, I experimented with shutter speeds, ISO and flash. I can get clearly focused shots now without blurs by setting a higher shutter speed and using the flash.

One thing that I failed to mention earlier was that I was trying to get the shots without using the flash (flash distracts the bowlers). I find that if the flash is used, the tendency is for the subject to be overexposed with the background becoming dark.

Is it at all possible to get a moving subject and background properly focused and exposed in low light conditions? I know this sounds probably too much to ask from a camera, but I just want to know if it can be done.

Thanks again
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4

Default You Probably Can

There should be enough light in a bowling alley here is my suggestion-- turn off the flash, set a higer ISO-- try 200 first, then 400, at the higher ISO's make sure you are setting the noise reduction, then set the aperture wide open and see if the shutter speeds are acceptable-- if you are zooming in at all-- you need speed of 1/100 or more to avoid blur from camera shake. Good luck.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:50 AM   #5

Thanks again. I will definitely try it.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:04 PM   #6

Default Age old problem

This quandry has been around as long as photography has existed. The pros like TV broadcasters add floodlights where the ambient lighting is insufficient. Sports photographers use the fastest lenses and the highest speed film available and then they "soup it up" during the film processing to get an effective film speed of 2000-4000 asa.

If your subjects will permit a flash you can use one or more slave flash units to illuminate the background and/or to backlight your subject. It is a LOT of work!!

Short of that I would follow the great advice you have received and the just accept a compromised image.

An expensive afterthought is to use one of the Digital SLRs with a VERY high speed lens. For example a D100X with a F/1.2 lens.

Good luck...henry
hhhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:21 PM   #7

Just what I wanted to know. I've been expecting to do too much with too little. There's no question about keeping the 4300 now (it's definitely a keeper). Thanks for all the advice.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 2:23 PM   #8

Default Try ISO 200 or 400-- You will be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harman_faiz
Just what I wanted to know. I've been expecting to do too much with too little. There's no question about keeping the 4300 now (it's definitely a keeper). Thanks for all the advice.
At 400, you should get good shots if you are in a brightly lit bowling alley. Yes there will some noise (200 may be enough and it would cut the noise), but I think you will find it acceptable-- noise is overrated as a problem in my opinion-- a little grain can add to the atmosphere of some pictures and is less noticeable in average indoor shots than in test images. Try it. I guarantee you will be happy. I have taken indoor shots without flash in far less light than a bowling alley at speeds which will stop moderate action.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 4:18 PM   #9

Default Digital Noise Reduction

The little experience I've had using higher ISOs has resulted in very noticable noise. There is a software package to help with this problem at http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_pro.html. Look for a package called "NeatImage for Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP. "

Good luck...Henry
hhhenry is offline   Reply With Quote