Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1

My boss just gave me to own on Friday a Nikon Coolpix 990 he has no use for to replace my Kodak C330 that blew up on me. I bought a 512MB CF memory card for it as well as a replacement Nikon Lens cap and Lens Cap Keeper string which is on the camera now. I also have a CF to PCMCIA adapter to allow me to get the pictures I take because the camera did not come with any accessories. I already had 4 "AA" 1800 mAh NiMH batteries with a charger to use for this camera.

A couple of questions:

1./ Is this a descent camera?

2./ Is there any other accessories you would suggest getting?

Thanks,
Ken Finch
ken68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

1) YES! The camera is better than "decent." Check out any of the published reviews. It only has 3.34 MP resolution, so you won't be doing huge enlargements.

2) Accessories depend on what you want to do with the camera. If this is going to be your "main" camera, you should investigate getting an external flash if you take a lot of flash pictures where the subjects would be beyond, or at the fringe of, the built-in's range. There are wide-angle and telephoto adapters, and, if you do a lot of outdoor shooting, you might want to check out a polarizing filter. You may well need to buy step-up rings for any filters you consider getting, but they're cheap. It's hard to go wrong with a tripod, also.

The thing is to get familiar with what the camera can do, and what accessories are available for it. Look at what you can do right now with the camera, vs. what you would like to be able to be do with it. That'll give you a good idea of what accessories you want to get for it.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3

The 990 is probably the best coolpix that Nikon ever made. I'm still kicking myself for selling mine. I have made 11 X 14 photographs that were absolutely excellent. It was a small easy to use and carry camera and Nikon would be smart if they started to make them again.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, the Nikon 990 was one of my favorite cameras ever. It's slow by today's standards. But, it takes nice photos, and it's tilt design is great. It's also very hard to beat for closeups.

Like Ronnie, I wish I had never sold mine. I've still got a Coolpix 950 that I use from time to time. But, I sold my 990 years ago.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 AM   #5

I still love my CP 950 (2 MPixels) the 990 predecessor, I use it with a Nikon compatible "TTL" flash mounted on bracket.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the info everybody. I have been practising snapping pictures with it. I was able to get close-up macro shots I would have never have gotten with my Kodak. I only print out 4"X6" prints so 3.34MP is fine for me. My Kodak was a 4MP, so only a 0.66MP loss. I bought a 512MB CF Card for it as well as a replacement Nikon Lens Cap and Lens Cap Keeper string. I also have a USB Card Reader and 2 sets of NiMH Rechargeable batteries for it, 1800mAh and 2100mAh sets of 4 matching batteries. I have to admit I will learn better on this camera because it supports full manual settings compared to the Kodak C330's very limited settings. I have already learned how to do manual macro close ups for better detail. I will get a better external Flash Unit and Flash Bracket after Xmas is over with in the new year.

Thanks,
Ken Finch
ken68 is offline   Reply With Quote