Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:07 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 950-Macro-Yellow Flower/out of focus on LCD???

Hello...I own a Coolpix 950..I am familiar with the zooming ( in and out ) practice when in " Macro " mode til the FLOWER ( turns yellow.. sometimes looks green ; more than yellow)..Regardless..the flower changes ; to the " sweet spot " ; yet in P-REC Mode lens (sometimes M-REC) autofocusing continuously and not getting into focus ..?? WHY ?..

If I back away from subject then let the lens focus further away then move the zoom back & forth to the " yellow flower " then I can usually obtain proper focus...

Anyone that may have more knowledge (OR TIPS/TRICKS ) on doing the Macro photography ( faster ; easier more pristenely image wise.)... would you please post your comments here..?

Thanks.....Ed~
One_Eye_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:05 AM   #2

Default Re: Nikon Coolpix 950-Macro-Yellow Flower/out of focus on LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Eye_Ed
yet in P-REC Mode lens (sometimes M-REC) autofocusing continuously and not getting into focus ..?? WHY ?
Since I don't know the scene, it is difficult for me to answer this question completely. There are some main reasons. FIRST, the scene may have a low contrast. Nikon Coolpix cameras all use contrast detection for auto-focusing. Thus, if the scene does not have strong contrast (e.g., a pure yellow flower without much texture), the camera will be confused. SECOND, the focusing distance may be too short. The minimum focusing distance in the macro mode is about 2cm. Shorter than this, the camera cannot focus. THIRD, in the fully automatic and default mode, if I recall correctly, the camera will try to focus at the subject that is closest to the lens. This closest subject may be too close to allow the camera to establish a lock. See above. Try to select a focus area.

Quote:
If I back away from subject then let the lens focus further away then move the zoom back & forth to the " yellow flower " then I can usually obtain proper focus...
Because you backed away and had a lock, it means the focus distance may be shorter than the required 2cm. In many situations, you can move away and have a lock to "prepare" the camera. Then, go closer a little and have a lock. Repeat this and you frequently can have a quick lock. Another way is to lock on a portion (with high contrast) of the subject that is at the same distance as the main area you are interested, hold the shutter release button, recompose, and push the shutter release button all the way down. Whatever trick you intend to use, keep in mind that the area being photographed MUST HAVE a reasonable contrast.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:54 AM   #3

Default Ok Thanks...I will consider the tips and comments-MACRO!

Hi Thanks for replying back..I " guess " the mis-spoken words of " the flower " I meant was the MACRO ( close-up) ICON FLower was turning Yellow in color )( indicating max..focus reached ) the sweet spot))...Anyways the idea's the same to obtain ; close-up macro.

I enjoy the fact that this forum and its many contributors such as you Shene ; ar helping me out. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to consider commenting in a helpful ( constructive) manner to help me and possible many others too..)

If then we do wish to provide (photo links in this forums) we are able to do so then? I wasn't even sure if it was " ok " to include url links to other things in our discussions...to help with the idea helping one another in mind..

Thanks for the comments once again..I really have come to enjoy this place ( the forums) Thanks STEVE! Also... Ed~
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:20 AM   #4

Default Re: Ok Thanks...I will consider the tips and comments-MACRO!

Hello Ed,

Quote:
If then we do wish to provide (photo links in this forums) we are able to do so then? I wasn't even sure if it was " ok " to include url links to other things in our discussions...to help with the idea helping one another in mind..
Many of us include images. The "Post Your Photos" section is full of images. To include an image, start with [img], followed by the URL of the image you wish to post, and ended by [/img]. Note that some site does not allow public access to your image!

Suppose the URL of an image is http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/FORUM/CAT/popye-5s.jpg Then, you start your image with [img], followed by http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/FORUM/CAT/popye-5s.jpg and ended by [/img]. This is what you see

CK
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:43 AM   #5

Default THANKS Shene And What Camera you use to take Cat Portrait?

Thanks Shene for the answer to the posting of pics....Next ; what camera did you use to take that picture of the cat.??

Nice looking pic...and was the camera on tripod or handheld...if you have info..of settings...??

Talk again no doubt Nikon talks are very fluently asked ... ;-)

Bye for now....Ed~
Old Jun 29, 2003, 2:53 PM   #6

Default Re: THANKS Shene And What Camera you use to take Cat Portra

Hello Ed,

Sorry for this late response.

Quote:
what camera did you use to take that picture of the cat.??
It is a 950. The photo was cropped but not edited.

Quote:
was the camera on tripod or handheld...if you have info..of settings...??
Shooting data: longest focal length, aperture-priority with largest aperture, hand-held, internal flash off, an external flash SB28 with a mini softbox placed (hand-held) above the cat approximately 45 degree. All other settings are default ones.

CK
Old Jul 5, 2003, 6:22 PM   #7

Default comment on eds cat picture

Hi Ed,

That is quite a cat picture and a beautiful cat, you said you took it with a 950, is that a coolpix 950? I haven't seen any of those in any of the catalogs I have been looking through or even in amazon. I saw pictures of macro and close-ups on Steves website and some of the best were taken with that camera, a 950. Maybe that would be a good camera for me and ebay. ya think, or is it too complicated for a novice like me?
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 7:00 PM   #8

Default Welcome Maddie..I didn't take the pic..Shene (member did)Pro

Hello Maddie...How are you ..? I didn't take that picture of the cat ; it's a beauty for sure. The poster ( just above my posts ( " shene " ) - Member he took it...He's very talented man.

Go to his website ( he's got it listed ( at the bottom of his posts..) You mentioned eBay and you ; does this mean ; you are an ebay member that wants to know of the " ability to use that camera for eBay pictures posting of items.??

I use mine for that purpose..and it OFFERS Superior ( MACRO-Close Ups) for items ; needing to show the details ; whether it be for example ...coins ; jewelry ( or the imperfections) on used items.

There's an Auto-Mode ( Point and Shoot type setting for the Nikon Coolpix 950....Autofocuses and ; selects the " camera's appropriate settings for proper exposures. ) That camera ; would be ideal (In my opinion) for the eBay stuff.

As you ( and myself ; as I am still learning.....) ; progress further with the camera ; there's a " Manual " Mode ( allowing more features of creativeness settings ) for you to play with and use.

It is Ideal for me ; as I sometimes (WANT) That close-up capability ...then the ability to point-and-shoot like birthday party pics...family reunions...landscapes...totally variety of things.

I took some ( very 1st time in my life at it too)!! ; Yesterday's ( 4th of July fireworks...!!! Not even really sure if I could ( trying to hand-hold ( not a tripod yet)...I have to still " load the pics into the pic viewing program ".... and maybe ( if decent enough ( may post 1 here.)

So ; Maddie ; Long story I like to write..... ; made a shorter one...I would say YES if you can buy one...go for it...(By the way ; I too bought mine off eBay....) ..

Take care and Welcome to the forum..and have fun while here..( There are a LOT OF Great people here posting and willing to answer your questions..( Let your posts run wild..;-)

Bye for now..... Ed~
Old Jul 5, 2003, 7:33 PM   #9

Default thank you Ed

Thank you Ed, my apologies to Shene, yes he is talented. Thank you for your advice, then I guess thats the camera for me. No I am not selling on ebay yet, I needed a camera and its taken me a week of reading up and scratching my head, trying to figure out which one to get, this website is a pleasure to read for someone like me, I hope I can learn more as I go along, I am not to swift when it comes to cameras, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks again ed, I'll be seeing you. By the way, I still can't figure out how to reply to a post, the exact post, so if I am a few posts behind in my reply I'm sorry. Thanks again.
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 8:19 PM   #10

Default I am not sure Maddie2 ( sorry the " 2") about the

Hi Maddie2 ....I just post....under the last post that I read and it must work ; like you just posted under my reply...I guess there's not a special way to do it ( but maybe) ...If so there's other's that may help us out.

HEY ; :shock: (haha) anyone reading wish to comment on the "proper" way to make our posts appear as we intended them to ..??

I will look around here to see if I can actually see anything on the " order " or sequence of the posting...Otherwise ; Maddie2 ; I usually just try to mention the " poster's name " that I was ( or am) referring to talking with or to..

Take care..I will be back here off and on readingand possibly writing have fun...Bye for now Ed~

Oh By The Way : I am sure that there MAY be many other cameras " that will suite your needs "......

I just happen to find ( all the reviews about the 950 and the pics that are shown) are just so nice to me..( hence that's another important reason I choose the 950..) By goiong to " shene's " web url link ( there's a terrific wealth of info..and there's pics to boot too....!! Way to go shene....

I have actually owned a few Nikon digital cameras and other makes too . many more fancier and " extra features . But returning backwards ; (to an older model) Nikon 950... in many choices in life ( cameras too) ; sometimes just isn't bad at all...

Like an old Chevy Coupe....?? (smiles) (Not all " older " things are to be set aside and not used. Ed~