Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom277
the 2 main points counting against the 5400 regarding DPREVIEW not giving it a higher recomendation didn't affect my camera.

Firstly ''the 'dead time' at the end of an image write where the camera becomes totally unresponsive'' (dpreview quote) - have just not happened to me. I dunno if they were testing with a cheap or bum CF card? My Sandisk Ultra 256 is plenty quick.

Second the price being too high: Goto a price compare site, print the quote and take to the shop, and you can knock a hundred or two off of the RRP anyway. Problem solved xx
ok, first, dpreview was talking about continous shooting, or hi quality shooting, at the end of the long write process the camera locks

second, the price may be lower at some places, but those places arent places that many people would want to buy a camera (no warranty, bad service. as far as I've seen)
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:37 AM   #12

Firstly; Yeah the overall write process from a continuous High burst in 5mp Fine mode takes about 35 seconds, but my 5400 isnt dead or locked-up during that time. In fact, immediately after the 7-shot burst, i only have to wait 7 seconds to take another shot, though it does go into the just-freed-up buffer memory. 7-secs of dead-time isn't unacceptable, considering the amount of information being processed and written. On 5mp Fine it takes about 5 secs per image to write to card but the camera is always ready to fire again soon after - 2 secs in single shot mode, 7 secs after a continuous burst. You don't have to wait for the green light write-flashing to stop, just refocus and shoot.
But granted, I do have to wait the 35 secs for the buffer to finish writing to the card before I can shot another 7-burst in continuous High. Thats acceptable though. I'd like to know what that speed is for other cameras with the same specs, doing the same test?

I read in the DPREVIEW Nikon-talk forum someone said that Phils review of the 5400 was with v1.0 or v1.1 firmware or something, not the v.1.3 version mine came with, and which is presumably standard on most releases of this camera?
Was his a pre-production model?
Or maybe he was using an average or below average CF card or one that wasn't working properly. A sandisk Ultra CF card has good fast writing times. A 256mb is a good size. Too big a memory and write times can be slower, Ive heard. Or maybe it wasn't very compatible. Or maybe the 5400 he was given was just a lemon!

Secondly; I didn't suggest you order from a dodgy online place. I mean't goto all the main price-compare sites on the net, find the lowest price online, print out that quote, and take that quote to a big trustworthy camera store, and in most cases they should match that quote. You'll knock the price down considerably on any camera's RRP or in shop price, and you'll have a returns policy and warranty in your hand for peace of mind.
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:25 AM   #13

dom277,

I think nikon get some 5400 back and update the firewire to 1.3.

Make sure you get the right version
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:49 PM   #14

Default 24mm equivalent lens?

Now, I'd be happier than a pig in s**t if they'd make a 24mm equivalent! But I'll take the 28mm equivalent, warts and all.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:02 AM   #15

dom 277, at dpreview they were using a viking 256mb card which is not a slow card. Read into the review, and you will see what they were talking about. Also, I heard somewhere that the sandisk ultra wasn't any faster than lexar cards, but it is a lot more, don't know if it is true though...
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:29 AM   #16

Default 5400 approved CF cards

Well all I know is that my 5400 has not so far displayed the 'dead time' where its 'locked up and unresponsive' for the 50 seconds or whatever that DPREVIEW talked about, I only experience that for 7 seconds immediately after a continuous High 5Mp Fine burst, and never at any other times. I won't go on any more about it; but it seemed fairly important to Phil and his widely read review.

Maybe the Viking is normally a perfectly good card, but its not mentioned on this list of Nikon 5400 approved cards.
They say using non-approved cards may work, but they can't guarantee their operation. And to keep an approved one handy in case of troubleshooting.

list available from ..(deep breath)....

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

Here it is
"
SanDisk SDCFB: 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, 96 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB
SanDisk SDCFH Ultra: 128 MB, 192 MB, 256 MB, 384 MB, 512 MB

Lexar Media 4x, 8x:
16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB

Lexar Media 12x, 16x, 24x, 24xWA:
64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB

Hitachi HB28: 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB

Microdrive:
DSCM 10512 512 MB
DSCM 10512 1 GB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation. Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information. Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting. "
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:07 AM   #17

Default 321 CYA

Apologies cyrage. Yes it was the continuous low burst, not continuous high, that the review was refering to. So ill give myself a good slap in the chops!
Re. his CF card not being an approved one, maybe that did or didn't compound the problem Phil experienced.
Anyway I really am too lazy to test it out myself at this moment, and would rarely use a continuous low burst anyway; and if i did i guess after taking 45 or so successive shots in 5mp 'normal', i could live with the camera going to sleep for a while.
Ill try not to post again on this subject, i reckon im hogging this forum, and probably boring everyone to tears! Adios gringos
Old Jul 10, 2003, 1:38 PM   #18

Default 5400 not worth it ...

I would stay away from the 5400.

http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/5400/5400.htm

That is some serious detail loss.

Mind you, the camera also uses a smaller 1/1.8" sensor as opposed to the 2/3" sensor found in the 5000/5700.

Overall i'm very dissapointed with this camera.
Jarrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 2:59 PM   #19

how do you know t camera he tested wasn't a complete lemon?
Looks like he just overexposed by a few stops.
1 test of 1 shot doesn't prove anything.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:44 PM   #20

well, though it's not an approved card for nikon cameras, i use a viking 128mb card for my 4300 and it works perfectly. It's ok by the way dom, I didn't point out specifically what I was talking about, so I could have confused anybody...