Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:02 PM   #21

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect this post but I'm currently considering this camera but having read some reviews I'm a bit concerned about the autofocus issues. I am fairly new to photography and will primarily be taking pictures of snowboarding both indoors and on the mountains.

The lighting indoors is not very bright (altho not as dark as a pub/disco type environment) and I wondered how much of a problem this will cause. At the moment I'm leaning towards the CP5400 or the Canon Powershot G5 and I think this could be the deciding factor. Any help or advice you can give me would be great

Thanks
Fire Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:34 PM   #22

Autofocus is fine apart from in the dimmest of light, e.g a dimly lit room with only the bed-light on. Snowboarding outdoors and indoors will be fine. Indoors the white will reflect enough light, plus there should be adequate lighting there anyway. Outdoors no probs, except that any camera can have focus issues with a large area of brightness with same colours and with no contrast.
Find something with lines/ with contrast, and you'll be ok. Thats same for autofocus on any cam. Its also the best advice for a dimly lit situation too. :?
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 3:51 AM   #23

Thanks I realise there are going to be issues with the whiteness on the mountain, but my ultimate aim is to be focusing on the boarder rather than taking pure landscape shots, so hopefully once I get the hang of it it'll be OK. I'm stiil at the reading/research stage at the mo but hopefully by the time I go away in Feb I'll be well practiced at the basics....fingers crossed eh! :lol:
Fire Opal is offline   Reply With Quote