Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:43 AM   #1

Default 5400 first impressions

Had the 5400 for 2 days. I havent finished the manual, but i can tell you that this camera will be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.

tonnes of manual and auto options. a beginner could take great photos on fully auto setting but that would be like owning a ferrari and never taking it above 20mph. youve got to know the technical stuff about photography well, and read the instruction manual well, before you can expect to use the 5400 to even 50% of its mind-boggling potential.

autofocus speed is perfectly adequate, as is low light focus and exposure, but is improvable upon by fiddling with settings and using common sense. reading the manual thoroughly and understanding it thoroughly, then experimenting and understanding what the camera is doing, and its various options, is the trick to getting it to work its stuff in low light and other challenging situations.
it is perfectly capable of taking fuss free great low light and night shots, just so long as you learn how to tell it to.

pics in good light are easier, crisp, detailed, lifelike, and infinitely tunable. spare battery and a 256mb cf card are a must if taking a lot of pics.

extremely happy with this purchase
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:41 PM   #2

Default more info

A little barrell distortion at the 28mm end, otherwise a great 4x lens. Soon perhaps other companies will cotton onto the importance of prosumer cams going wider than 35 mm without bungling around with expensive fiddly add-on lenses.

The 5400 is very comfortabe to hold, as much so as a proper SLR, though considerably lighter (which will suit some and not others).
Shooting one handed is easy and leaves one hand entirely free for using the various setting buttons and dials.

The camera feels solid and well made.
And critically important is that it smells good. Im going to smell mine regularly.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 9:11 PM   #3

I am very much dissapointed when I find out my 5400 is not smell as good as described, but I like the rest :twisted: .

However, I do have a question want to like ask :roll: . When my 5400 in S or A fuction, the Auto Focus is GOOD, but in some scenes modle it is out of focus a little. Do you have this problem? Or how to improve it ?

Thanks
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 7:20 AM   #4

I havent experienced this myself, though time will tell.
Are you sure you had the focus locked before the shot? And if you did, maybe one of the five focus area points locked was in a different part of the shot to the part that you wanted in focus?
If this is the problem, maybe try changing the focus area to 'spot' to be sure?
The 'close-up' and 'potrait' modes in the scene modes do throw some of the picture out of focus more than usual; supposed to be the background, - so as to highlight the subject more.
Otherwise I don't know, I havent any focus problems myself.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:04 AM   #5

hello.

does anybody know why it takes so long to have the full test report published of the 5400? Is thorougness of testing, steve on holiday or the shutterlag of the camera :lol: ?

If you have the camera and feel confident and experienced enough to give valuable addition to doms critics please do. My impression from DPREVIEW was that the promisses of the nikon press release (approx 2 months ago) where not completely realized.

Anyway let me here what you want to say.

I am ready to buy this camera!

Thanks
karl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 1:09 PM   #6

I agree with you Karl about the DPREVIEW review and the official press release. Im no expert and shouldnt really be posting my own review in a forum. But im just floating my thoughts. Id say that the Nikon press release was 'sexed up'! and the DPREVIEW review was overly critical. It made a meal of its few weaknesses and not enough mention of its many considerable strengths.
For me the wideangle capability of the zoom is really important, as is the compact size and discrete styling.
As with all apects, different things will matter and appeal to different people, including camera reviewers on websites.

I remember what my dad told me.
'You know what they say about opinions? Opinions are like a**holes; -everyones got one!'
And no-one wants to know about eachothers!

One very useful tip mentioned in the many reviews for this camera -and worthwhile doing if you own the camera and want quicker pictures- is to turn off the 'shutter beep' sound in the settings menu; this reduces shutter lag (*AFTER autofocus is locked) from about 0.3 sec down to about 0.1 sec.
Its wierd that, but it works.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:33 PM   #7

No, dpreview did a good job on the review, they pointed out the flaws of the camera and gave reasons. Besides, they are right in many cases, especially with no af assist lamp. Canon and Sony have them, why can't Nikon? They aren't being over critical, they're being truthful. Besides, read any other review on there, no camera is perfect, you gotta point these things out so people know what they will be buying...
Cyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:36 AM   #8

thats why I said it was just my opinion. I didnt say my opinion ruled!
For me I hardly ever use an AF assist light, but I use a 28 mm all the time, for just one example.
The DPREVIEW review was extremely thorough and covered all points good and bad. But for me it was over-critical. For you it wasn't.
Different strokes, honeybun.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:49 AM   #9

the 2 main points counting against the 5400 regarding DPREVIEW not giving it a higher recomendation didn't affect my camera.

Firstly ''the 'dead time' at the end of an image write where the camera becomes totally unresponsive'' (dpreview quote) - have just not happened to me. I dunno if they were testing with a cheap or bum CF card? My Sandisk Ultra 256 is plenty quick.

Second the price being too high: Goto a price compare site, print the quote and take to the shop, and you can knock a hundred or two off of the RRP anyway. Problem solved xx
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:59 PM   #10

Agree with dom277
My sandisk 256MB Ultra works with 5400 very well and fast.
And if you keep watching, you can get it under $600, (as me)

5400 only Con I have so far:
Low light focus.
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote