Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:12 PM   #1

Default need help selecting 2x or 3x lens for CP5000

I have been enjoying my CP5000 for a couple of months now. In a couple of weeks I will be going to the drag races and this is one of the few times I will need more zoom. Based on the few reviews I have been able to find I would like to stick with either of Nikon's telephoto lenses (TC-E2 or the TC-E3ED). I have not been able to find a side-by-side comparison of the 2 lenses to help me make a descision. Can someone either point me to a good review, or make a recommendation?

Up until a couple of years ago I used my Dad's Canon 35mm SLR. It had a 110mm zoom lens and on occasion I would use a lens doubler adapter. Without the doubler I didn't have quite enough zoom. With it I was limited to areas of the track I could shoot and get the whole car (dragster) in the frame. The doubler was great for getting burnout shots of the sportsman (non-professional drivers with heavily modified street cars) classes though.

I have alway's used a polarized filter to combat the glare off the tire smoke and shine off the cars, track, walls, etc. Does a polarized filter exist for either of these lenses?

I've been taking a camera with me to the races since drag racing since high school, so panning has become simple with my Dad's camera. Given the slower shutter, and a tripod is out of the question, would a monopod be usefull? I've never used a monopod before, so I don't know how much stability it will add.

Thanks in advance for the help.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:28 AM   #2

Default Re: need help selecting 2x or 3x lens for CP5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by estill
I have been enjoying my CP5000 for a couple of months now. In a couple of weeks I will be going to the drag races and this is one of the few times I will need more zoom. Based on the few reviews I have been able to find I would like to stick with either of Nikon's telephoto lenses (TC-E2 or the TC-E3ED). I have not been able to find a side-by-side comparison of the 2 lenses to help me make a descision. Can someone either point me to a good review, or make a recommendation?
A side-by-side review of the image quality of these two lenses may not be very fair due to their different focal length. For example, it is unlikely that people would compare a 200mm lens against a 300mm lens. If you mean a comparison of their focal lengths (i.e., 170mm vs. 255mm), it is easy to do. The "Converter Lenses" section of my 4500 user guide has a series images, taken by various converter lenses, showing the focal length from 8mm fisheye to 456mm.

Quote:
Up until a couple of years ago I used my Dad's Canon 35mm SLR. It had a 110mm zoom lens and on occasion I would use a lens doubler adapter. Without the doubler I didn't have quite enough zoom. With it I was limited to areas of the track I could shoot and get the whole car (dragster) in the frame. The doubler was great for getting burnout shots of the sportsman (non-professional drivers with heavily modified street cars) classes though.
If the above is what you want, the focal length is about 210mm. The 5000 plus TC-E2 has a combined focal length of 85*2=170mm. Thus, it covers a little more than your 105mm plus 2X converter. If you choose TC-E3ED with 5000, the combined focal length will be 85*3=255mm. Compared with the 210mm you used with your Canon SLR, the coverage of the 255mm is even smaller. Based on this, I would believe the TC-E2 is what you want. Please keep in mind that once a 2X or 3X is mounted on a camera, zoom range will be very limited near the long end. The TC-E3ED is worse, because one needs to use 1.2X digital zoom to reduce vignetting. In some sense, a TC-E3ED on a 5000, the combo virtually becomes a fixed lens camera (i.e., not much room for zooming).

Quote:
I have alway's used a polarized filter to combat the glare off the tire smoke and shine off the cars, track, walls, etc. Does a polarized filter exist for either of these lenses?
Yes, the TC-E2 and TC-E3ED are threaded with thread sizes 62mm and 72mm, respectively.

Quote:
Given the slower shutter, and a tripod is out of the question, would a monopod be usefull? I've never used a monopod before, so I don't know how much stability it will add.
Yes, a monopod is very useful to stabilize vertical camera shake. But, some practice is needed.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:33 AM   #3

Nice website, and thank you for the help.

I guess I wasn't specific enough when asking for a side by side comparison. I was looking more for how the focal lengths compare to the 35mm world I am coming from. I've only had this camera for a couple of months, and I haven't taken the time to learn how it compares mathematically to 35mm.

After looking through your website I think the 2x convertor is the way to go for mow. If I need more I have another year before I will need to buy another lens.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:06 AM   #4

I currently own a CP5000 and a TC-E3ED. I wished I had brought the 2 x tele-converter instead. The TC-E3ED forces you to use the 1.2 ditgital zoom. It is also too heavy for the camera and works as a fixed length lens not a zoom like the TC-E2. All my photos are soft. Probably a combination of camrea shake and the 1.2 digital zoom factor. I'd much rather have the shorter focal length and sharper photos. Maybe someone else had better luck. Until I brought an EOS 10D, I was considering trading it in for a TC-E2.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:39 AM   #5

I picked up the 2x lens before the Nostalgia Drags friday night. I have had a chance to look through everything in detail, but from what I saw it worked out well.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:28 PM   #6

I just wanted to thank you for the advice. I ended up the the TC-EC (2x teleconvertor) lens. Below is one of the better shots I was able to get. I wish I could have opened up the aperature a little bit more, but overall I'm satisfied.

The was shot with the ISO set at 400, so it is a little grainy. I don't think it would have come out much better as a different setting with so much smoke in the air though.

In case anyone is curious Larry Dixon (the blue car) did win this round and the event.