Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:05 AM   #11

Nikon removed the 4500 from its Digital Camera page.

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_group/group.jsp?cat=1&grp=2

It is no longer listed there with the rebate. I guess Nikon lied about not discontinuing the camera. Recently, I spoke to two representatives at Nikon on two different occasionas, a third one in e-mail, and they assured me they would not offer a rebate on a camera they did not have. They said they were getting a lot of telephone complaints from customers who could not find the camera. They said the camera WILL be back, it's in production.

WELL? Then why remove the camera and rebate from their Digital Camera page?

Very dissapointed Nikon!!

If they did not intend to sell the camera, they never should have extended the rebate, lied to customers, and kept us waiting when we could have bought something else.

I am going to call Nikon on Monday. If they did lie, I will definitely buy my new camera from another manufacturer.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:43 PM   #12

I just purchsed a tripod and head today. So I asked at the store about the CP4500.

He said it was gone. That they still get some questions about it and he liked the camera. It was popular. He doesn't understand about the rebate either. Heck, neither do I.

When you call nikon, do this for me. If they say (again) that it isn't dead, suggest that they should put the message out via their reps that the camera isn't dead. Several sales men have told me its gone. They hare hurting their sales if it really isn't. I would buy the camera if I could find it.

Personally, I think its dead and they won't do bring it back. But part of me hopes they say its coming back and then don't and then they get burnt by customer backlash. I want the company to learn not to play these games. But I want a healthy Nikon to compete with Canon... so I don't want them hurt too bad.

Sigh. Well, now I figure out something else.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 3:21 PM   #13

Hi eric s,

Sorry you're dissapointed too, I know how you feel. I'll let you know what Nikon tells me tomorrow on the phone. I suggest anyone who is upset call and let Nikon know. Their toll free number for digital imaging is 1-800-645-6689.

If you can't get the 4500, what are you going to get instead? I am looking at the Canon G3, but I picked the 4500 over it before. It weighs a couple ounces more, and doesn't have as good a macro as the 4500, but it seems to have crisp and clear images. I am worried about the Canons having pixelization problmes as I have read in the forums here.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 4:30 PM   #14

The G3 is on my list to check out. I was going to attach the 4500 to a spotting scope, so it not having any external lens elements (all focusing done internally) was a big feature for me. I don't know of another camera which does this (and is still on the market.)

I also liked it's macro, which I would have used some.

I'll give them a call as well. Let them know I think they did the wrong thing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:45 PM   #15

The G3 is also $121 more than the 4500 with rebate where I can buy it. The G3 comes with a remote though, and the 4500 does not. The Coolpix remote at the Nikon site was $99, so that makes the G3 price a little more acceptable. On the other hand, I don't even know if I'll ever use a remote, *lol*.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 6:05 PM   #16

I called today and the man said that the Nikon 4500 is definitely discontinued. He said if you can pre order it now, a few places will get it, and that's it.
He said he could not tell before because corporate did not tell them. He said call corporate headquarters, ask for the program director of the Coolpix 4500 and complain to him. He gave me the number 631-547-4200. Last time I called, they said I had the right number, now all of a sudden I don't. Go figure. Anyway, it was too late to call that office, so I'll try tomorrow. I just want to know what corporate thinks about lying to customers and offering rebates on non-existant cameras.
He said the swivel design will come out again. He said they were going to improve the 4500's electronics. He said he could not tell me when the replacement for the 4500 will be.
I don't trust a thing Nikon says at this point.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:47 PM   #17

*pats my 4500 affectionately*
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:02 PM   #18

Glad you're happy Jaseball. How is your Nikon with low light pics? The macro on the Nikons can't be beat, but the Canons are better with low light situations. I am considering the G3, but I want a really good Macro.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:05 PM   #19

In low light I use the night setting or go full manual. I wish this had an AF beam, but it still works well if the user wants to mess around.

I was going for either Nikon or Canon for the most part when I was looking.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote