Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:32 PM   #1

My flash flickers slightly when I try to use it. Not enough to provide any lighting, but enough for me to know that it is blinking. I have the camera open right now and it seems like everything is intact, all ribbon cables and connectors are plugged in.
I suspect the capacitor is failing, Is there any way to test it, or does anyone with experience know if this sounds like a cap problem?
Thanks.
nikongk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:03 PM   #2

nikongk wrote:
Quote:
My flash flickers slightly when I try to use it. Not enough to provide any lighting, but enough for me to know that it is blinking.
I don't get it, can you describe ... with more details?

nikongk wrote:
Quote:
I suspect the capacitor is failing, Is there any way to test it, or does anyone with experience know if this sounds like a cap problem?
Thanks.
measure the voltage of the capacitor. It should be charged at several hundred volts when the ready light goes on (did it?). Then at the shot, it's discharged and the voltage dropped suddenly, to increase again slowly ...

If the voltage is high and no burst , >> could be the trigger circuit problem (the high voltage spike for the third electrode), not necessarily the main cap problem...

The cap can be shorted (no/low voltage) or the charging circuit can be faulty (no low voltage even with the cap disconnected.

many other possibilities ...
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:30 PM   #3

More detail: I set my picture mode to use the flash, the ready light works and everything....it is simply that the flash does not "flash"-If I look at the flash directly and the room is dark enough I can see a slight "blink" of the flash, which makes me think that the camera wants to "flash" but something is getting messed up on the hardware end.

P.S. If this is worth mentioning, I got zapped pretty good when my finger made contact with the flash housing (guess it wasn't fully discharged) when I opened the camera.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:53 PM   #4

If there is anyone out there that can make a suggestion or help, I'd appreciate it. I would like to fix this myself rather than sending it to Nikon. Thank you.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:17 AM   #5

You may satrt with a voltage meaurement:

- at the main cap, what is the voltage when the ready light is on?

- voltage at the shot? did it drop down or remain the same?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote