Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 17, 2002, 5:19 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5700 digital zoom

Nikon's 5700 has a 8x = 280mm zoom. When the 4x digital zoom is activated on top what does that equate to in mm. terms. At 280mm and 4x digital the images I have seen are very pixelized and tend to have halos and poor color reproduction.
jrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2002, 5:28 PM   #2

Default Digital zoom worthless on ANY camera

Hi Jrry,

I don't know what the 4x digital zoom equates to. But I do know that digital zoom is basically worthless for all digital cameras. You can do the same thing on the computer after you have gone the max optical zoom distance that you wish. I hope that clears things up a bit.
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:33 PM   #3

Yep, digital zoom is crap. All it does it crop the picture and 'enhance,' the cropped area, so it feels like you are zoomed in closer, but it's still the same pic, only with less detail.

You are far better off using pure optical zoom and messing around with photoshop afterwards on your computer.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:36 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jrry
Nikon's 5700 has a 8x = 280mm zoom. When the 4x digital zoom is activated on top what does that equate to in mm. terms. At 280mm and 4x digital the images I have seen are very pixelized and tend to have halos and poor color reproduction.
Digital zoom was created by the marketing folks -- the first thing I do with a new camera is find the menu option to disable it. Only "optical" zoom counts, digital zoom is like smoke and mirrors.

Digital zoom takes the center 50% of the frame and either crops it and makes a smaller size image (prefered) or, takes the center 50% of the image and interpolates it up to the original image size. The latter process creates the pixelly looking images that you mention and has little to NO use whatsoever.

Do it afterwards on the computer with your editing program, much better images will be the result every time.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:13 PM   #5

Hi Steve,

Can you disable the digital zoom feature on the Nikon 5700?

Thanks
kwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 3:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by kwun
Hi Steve,

Can you disable the digital zoom feature on the Nikon 5700?

Thanks
There is a menu option to permanently disable the digital zoom, I suggest you disable it now.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:08 AM   #7

I've just read Steve's Nikon 5700 user review, and the Nikon does support this feature. Nice One!

Cheers Kwun
kwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 4:40 AM   #8

Adding my 2 1/2 cents ..

a HUGE advantage of the 5700 is its big optical zoom. Even if there were a vlaue to adding digitsl zoom, it is nearly impossible to hand hold a camera at any longer zoom then the max the 5700 offers anyway.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 1:57 PM   #9

agree with all above oppiniens. I would state that digital zoom should NOT be even produced as the feature of the fotocameras. DZ - mustdie
CEBEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 1:58 PM   #10

Default Digital Zoom is not that evil!

Granted, you really DON'T want to use it for still photography purposes. However, I used to carry a pair of 7x35 for when I just wanted to peer at something far away as opposed to taking a photo of it. Now I can keep the binos at home and enable the 4x digital for a similar purpose.
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote