Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:52 PM   #1

Default 5400 Astrophotos

I've heard that the long exposure capability of the Coolpix 5400 is great. Has anybody seen any astrophotos done with this camera? If it can do them, and excellent macros, it sounds like the perfect camera for my needs.
egarrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:52 PM   #2

I too am waiting to try to use the 5400 capabilities to do astrophotography. My biggest problem is being unable to find a sutible way to mount the 5400 to a scope.

Still to soon for third party adapters I guess.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
I too am waiting to try to use the 5400 capabilities to do astrophotography. My biggest problem is being unable to find a sutible way to mount the 5400 to a scope.

Still to soon for third party adapters I guess.
I would like to ask what is the thread size on the 5400 ED lens? I am also interested in knowing if 5400 is suitable for mounting to telescope or not, so that I can upgrade from my humble 2MP camera to 5400.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:22 AM   #4

The CP4500 (if you can find one) is good for mounting on a telescope. I took a quick look at Steve's review of the 5400 and didn't see thread size. You could probably find it in the manual here:

Rats. It isn't there. They must not be selling the 5400 in europe yet. I've never been able to find the manuals at the nikon usa site, but the nikon europe site has them all on an FTP site off the same directory... really easy to find things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:05 PM   #5

The 5400 camera has no therads on the lense itself, filters and add-on lenses require an attachment that screws to the camera body.

The lense shade I think part # hn-cp10 gives you a 77mm filter thread.

The UR-E9 attachment thingy looks like it has a 49mm thread but it is short, the lense cannot extend much past 28mm setting before passing the end of it.

I am guessing on the 49mm, I measured it with a cheepy ruler.

I think using the UR-E9, a 49mm extensing tube and a 49mm to t-thread adapter would allow connction to a scope
Finding a 49mm extension tube may be tough :roll:

Both Nikon and Canon have gone to this no-thread on the lense format, I guess to keep stresses off the little lenses they were not designed to hold.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote