Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:35 AM   #1

Default In-camera Sharpening

What is everyones take on using the in-camera sharpening on the newer Nikons ? I have a 2100 and am curious as to how well the newer models handle the sharpening. With my 950, I do my sharpening in PhotoShop. I've done some image comparisons with the different levels of in-camera sharpening and compared them to my Photroshop images and I don't see a huge difference. At least not enough of a difference to sway me either way. What is everyone else's preference ?

Thanks,
Steven
ablessg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:50 PM   #2

Steven,

Most high-end digital cameras create "normal" images that are slightly soft. This is to prevent creating sharpening artifacts that cann ot be undone by softening the image after final in camera processing. This allows the photographer apply additional sharpening, if necessary and to lower the sharpening levels if the picture start to degrade due to over sharpening. You can always go back to the original image. However, if the original out of the camera image has too much sharpening; there is nothing you can do except take the picture over.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:31 PM   #3

I did a little experimenting last night after posting. I think I will stick with not letting the camera sharpen and continue to sharpen with Photoshop. I appreciate your input !
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablessg
I did a little experimenting last night after posting. I think I will stick with not letting the camera sharpen and continue to sharpen with Photoshop. I appreciate your input !
My 2500 user guide has a page "Image Sharpening" comparing various in-camera sharpening modes, which might be helpful.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 9:23 AM   #5

I think the best way to sharpen the image is in the post processing using photoshop. Just be-sure to make a copy of your original picture before you do this to avoid the un-wanted result that you didn't expect. Save original pictures to HD pr CD-R for later reviews and references.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:51 PM   #6

Very helpful. Thanks a million everyone !