Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 24, 2003, 4:57 PM   #1

Default CP 5400 technical question

I have a technical question for the CP 5400:

Will this camera (in any mode) continue to fire as long as I have the shutter button depressed until the memory card is full?

If not, is there any such camera (that uses CF I or II)?

Thanks,

Randy
aerodata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:14 PM   #2

Just to add a specific piece of info to your question:

1) Do you mean that it should save every picture it takes to the CF?
2) Or that it takes pictures continuously while you hold the shutter and then stores only the last 3 seconds worth of pictures?

I assume you mean #1.

I also have this question for you:
1) It is acceptable if it pauses every now and then to write (i.e. no pictures for a several seconds and then it starts taking pictures again)?
2) Or does it literally have to take a picture every 1/2 second (or whatever the camera is rated for) until the CF is full?

I assume you mean no on #1 and yes on #2.

If my above assumptions are correct, then the answer is no. I know of no digital camera which can takes pictures continuously until the CF is full. Even the high end DSLR cameras will pause every now and then to write out the pictures. Writing to CF talkes a lot of power, so much that I believe the camera probably can't charge the CCD while its doing it.

Just a guess as to the reason, but I've never heard of a camera which can do that. What you are asking for sounds kinda like slow video.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:26 PM   #3

It's OK for the camera to pause every once in a while, as long as the pause doesn't exceed about 20 seconds.

And, yes, I just want to hold the shutter button down for 3 hours until it fills my 4GB compact flash card. I would power the camera externally.

My D-1 does have a continuous mode that will fire as long as the button is down (forever), and it writes an entire file to the card before it fires the shutter again. It can do this about ever 3-5 seconds indefinitely. I'm looking for the same feature in a smaller/lighter/cheaper camera.

Thanks again,

Randy
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:15 AM   #4

If you accept the pause while it flushes it's buffers, I believe that most cameras will do that. I've never tried it on mine (and I've never touched a 5400) but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

My fear was that you wouldn't accept the pause while it wrote. Since you will, I bet you're all clear.

I'm not sure the 5400 can take a 4G card. I'd check on that. That is really big for a consumer grade camera. Doesn't that require Fat32 support?

Eric
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:06 AM   #5
NHL

Almost all digicams have a buffer to hold the pictures in the camera while they are being written out to the flash card @ a slower speed. I believe the CP5400's buffer can hold 7 pictures in JPEGs and the max rate is 3fps (@ the highest resolution). The pause time will vary with different CF card speed, and is not fixed @ 20s but could be much longer depending how many picture is in this buffer -> hence you can get card with different x rating (1x is 150kb/s).

1. Just like any consumer type digicam, you can only go so fast, so after a certain speed you can not make the camera write any faster to the flash card so spending more on the fastest card won't give you any benefit!

2. Reducing the size/resolution of the pictures will also allow to shoot faster and more frames between pause/wait.

3. In TIFF which this camera is capable, the files are much larger than JPEG is where you'll notice the long wait the most since the camera buffer will fill up quite rapidly between shots!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#48336

Also I believe that with most digicams if you stay under the buffer max (ie don't fill it up entirely) then the shutter won't lock out and you can still shoot new pictures while the camera is emptying it's buffer of the older ones... Reaching the limit will usually totally lock out the whole camera until the camera's buffer is fully flushed!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:40 AM   #6

Eric-

What type of camera do you have? Would you mind testing it to see if it will shoot again after the buffer flushes? (Holding down the shutter button during the entire flush?)

Thanks,

Randy
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:59 AM   #7

I have a $1,499 Canon 10D, it's a DSLR. I only mention the price so you you realize that this isn't exactly a fair comparson with the 5400.

Since I'm working from home, I can do it right now!

I'm shooting with the best JPG setting.
It shot 9 in a row at about 3 a second and then started to write out (as expected.)
Then it reduced throughput to about 2 a second and continued shooting. It only stopped to write a picture to CF and then shot again. So I bet it would have filled the CF before it really stopped. I shoot 180 pictures very quickly...

Eric
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:32 AM   #8

Thanks, Eric!

That's the primary reason I chose to investigate the 5400 because of the review I read at DPR. Phil Askey quoted a recording time of 4-6 seconds per photo to the CF card. That timing would be perfect for my scientific application if it were consistent. My D-1 is consistent only because it's lowest continuous drive mode forces the file to be written completely to the card before taking the next shot. Unfortunately the D-1 is to big to fit in the space I have planned for it (in an aircraft).

Since I'm on vacation and out in the middle of nowhere right now, I don't have a nearby dealer where I can go in and test drive one. I guess I'll need to wait until I get back home and go fire one (several, maybe some of the Canons as well).

Thanks again,

Randy