Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Nikon Brand Polarizer?

I want a circular polarizer for my new Nikon 5400, but I'm choking on spending $150 for the 77mm Nikon brand. A Hoya 77mm costs about $50. Anybody have a Nikon brand, and is it worth the money?

I have Nikon and Hoya circular polarizers in 52mm for my film camera. The Nikon is built sturdier and the Hoya has a warmish cast, but the color cast wouldn't be a factor on a digital camera.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2003, 9:51 AM   #2
SSD

I don't have a Nikon CP, but I have a Tiffen and a Hoya. They are both fine filters. I think with filters made by the camera manufacturers, that you are also paying extra for the name even though they make quality products. JMO
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 7:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the post SSD.

I just read on another web site that Hoya probably makes filters for Nikon. I'll get the Hoya unless there's a vignetting problem. One advantage of Nikon filters, according to that article, is that Nikon's have oversized glass to prevent vignetting.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:05 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
One advantage of Nikon filters, according to that article, is that Nikon's have oversized glass to prevent vignetting
The size of the glass is dictated by the diameter of the filter ring! Vignetting however is caused by the thickness of the filter ring, and Hoya as well as B+W and Heliopan make 'slim' filters with no front thread which are equal or exceed the original manufacturer (also with multi-coat to prevent flare as well)!

http://www.2filters.com./prices/specials.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 5:04 PM   #5

Quote: "The size of the glass is dictated by the diameter of the filter ring!"

The glass can be substantially larger then the mount depending on the manufacturer's design. A 52mm filter does NOT necessarily have a 52mm glass - the measurement refers to the diameter across the threads. My 52mm Nikon polarizer has a 58mm diameter front glass surface, while my 52mm Hoya indeed has a 52mm glass surface. My Nikon polarizer mount flares outward to accomodate the larger glass to minimize vignetting.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:27 PM   #6

Nikon's Polar filters have front treads which accept Nikon's two part Pola lens hoods. I have hoods on all my Nikkor lenses and don't mind the price to be able to use hoods on my Pola filters.
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:34 PM   #7

so what your saying is i can get a HMC 58mm hoya filter and get a step up ring from 52-58 giving the same effect as the $150 nikon filter and save about $84 right? or go a little better and get a hoya ultra and save only $75. or go to the top and get a B+W MRC and save $25.

there are lots of options here but remembr that when you buy the filter get it so it fits your largest lens or vignette cutoff. i use one size filter through out my cameras. yeah it looks silly to have a somewhat larger filter on my D7Hi. 49-77mm step up ring at $6 is cheaper then $20 here and $120 there. i have one filter doing many cameras after that i have a cokin P filter holder for some specialty singh-ray filters i have.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 3:28 PM   #8

Default Yes, the Free Market Works!

Sunpak seems to have solved my problem, of having to buy a clunky lens shade (though they have their uses) and 77mm filters just to use a polarizer on my Nikon 5400.

Nikon pisses me off. I suspect this design was deliberate, to force consumers to buy a Nikon lens shade and expensive 77mm filters, some of which will be Nikon brand. The lens shade/filter system makes for a bulky package on a compact camera.

Sunpak has a new line of "PicturePlus, Quick-Mount" filters that mounts on threaded and non-threaded lenses using spring loaded ball bearings. I should be able to use the cheaper, smaller filters without a lens shade.

Get back to you if I get more info.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 7:01 PM   #9

PeterP suggested NextPhoto snap-on adapters on a related thread. Great idea! And thanks again, PeterP.