Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Was buying a 4500 a mistake?

Last year I spent a bit of time researching cameras and wanted to stay below $1K and wanted a 4MP camera. I was always a fan of Nikon optics and the swivel design with the internal lens movement and waited and waited and finally bought the CP4500.

For myself this camera is the perfect choice and has performed will this year and has captured some wonderful photos.

The strange thing was I looked for lenses like the 2 or 3x tele and found it hard to find at Amazon and ritzcamera.com.

Then I noticed how it was discontinued in posts here. As far as I know, no CP swivel camera production has ever been stopped in less than a year. Were sales that poor? Is there no profit margin on this model? Are there things people who bought one should know?

I checked the firmware and there is a version 1.2 and all it seemed to fix was some problem with the remote you have to buy or something and I didn't bother to flash it just for that one fix I'd never need.

Any other CP4500 owners out there with ideas or heard something word of mouth, online, from Nikon, etc?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:11 PM   #2

I don't know for sure, but I believe the EagleEye OpticZoom 5x works on the CP4500. You could email them and ask.

www.eagleeyeuk.com

I have only heard about 1 bad 4500... and it was really bad. Couldn't focus if its life depended on it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3

Default Re: Was buying a 4500 a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball
The strange thing was I looked for lenses like the 2 or 3x tele and found it hard to find at Amazon and ritzcamera.com.
Amazon and ritzcamera.com may not be the right places to buy these lenses. Try B&H at www.bhphotovideo.com and Adorama www.adorama.com and you will see both lenses are in stock, because I just checked it. For used ones, eBay has several 2X and 3X converter lenses.

Quote:
Then I noticed how it was discontinued in posts here. As far as I know, no CP swivel camera production has ever been stopped in less than a year. Were sales that poor? Is there no profit margin on this model? Are there things people who bought one should know?
Until Nikon discontinues its swivel lens camera production lines officially, rumors are just rumors. Maybe Nikon have a new model soon.

Quote:
I checked the firmware and there is a version 1.2 and all it seemed to fix was some problem with the remote you have to buy or something and I didn't bother to flash it just for that one fix I'd never need.
There are only a handful firmware updates for the 9xx/4500 models. Whether you wish to update to 1.2 is your choice if you don't need the extra capabilities.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 7:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I don't know for sure, but I believe the EagleEye OpticZoom 5x works on the CP4500
I've got an EagleEye 5x for my CP4500. There's vignetting if you don't apply a bit of optical zoom on the CP, but the results are ok.

Have a look at -

http://www.pbase.com/image/18342891

and

http://www.pbase.com/image/18345371

In my view it makes a fine "telephoto" for the CP4500.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

Default re. EagleEye 5x

Graham - I am considering getting the EagleEye 5x or the NIkon TC-E2. They are roughly the same price.

Are you happy with your EagleEye 5x purchase?

I like your pictures on your site. The "Metal Container, Toledo" has my name (yitzchak) in hebrew etched in the top right.
Ywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote