Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:02 AM   #1

Default coolpix prob

1.I have found that you can set the shutter speed and aperture. However, I find that I can't set the aperture smaller than f7.8, severely limiting my depth of field. Neither can i control the aperture between the two depths its either f2.4 or f7.8 nothing in between . why? and how can i overcome this prob?
2.when i take a pic with the monitor off it doesn't always take the pic .?
adamperl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:57 PM   #2

sorry forgot to mention that the camera is a coolpix 4300
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:13 AM   #3

Hi, I have a CP4300 too. That is the smallest aperture you can get on the lens - f7.8. Physical limitations are my guess.

I don't know the reason why Nikon chose to allow us to set only the smallest or biggest aperture but what I found was that for most situations, the options are acceptable. In fact, I shoot in low light conditions most of the time, so the widest aperture is usually used. If you notice, when the camera's exposure is set to P, it will use varying apertures other than the max and min. Wierd huh?

With the monitor off, the camera takes a while to take a picture. People have noticed that with the 16MB CF provided in the package, the shutter lag is much shorter. But with bigger cards, it's unusable. I use the monitor all the time. No solutions so far.
harman_faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:33 PM   #4

Default thanks

thanks for the help i was wondering if you could help me with another question

if i want to take a pic of a moving object in the daytime normally there is no prob because i have alot of sun light so i just set the camera up and the pic 99% comes out ok , but when there is not enough light how can i take a nice clean pic cause they normally come out to dark would i have to use the flash to capture the picture or can you suggest something else . for example if i want to take a picture of a moving car how would i do it ?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:57 AM   #5

I feel that's pushing the limits of the CP4300. For a nice well-exposed shot in low light, I just set the camera on manual with the exposure setting to P and the flash to slow. Note that the shutter speed is going to be long (around 1/8 up to 1 sec). At those shutter speeds, its absolutely impossible to get a sharp picture of a moving object. In fact, you'd really have to steady yourself for a shot of a non-moving object.

Other than that, you can also use the scene mode for indoor, night portrait or night landscape.

You can just use the flash normally at 1/60 shutter speed but what you will get is the object being lit with the background totally dark. For the shots that you want in low light, I read that the Fuji S2 Pro does it nicely with its 1600 ISO and almost no noise. The CP4300 at ISO400 is totally noisy.

Hope that answers your question.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:16 PM   #6

Default Thanks again

maybe you can help me with another question.
Today i was out taking some pics on a trip and i found that the zoom in some pics wasn't enough . I know that the cp4300 has a zoom of x3 and x4 digital but i was wondering if there is anything i can add on the camera to make the zoom larger ?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 8:37 AM   #7

You can check out the accessories. Telephoto converters 2x and 3x.