Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 19, 2002, 3:18 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 4500 - Problem with Filters

I have just purchased a 4500 and it's great. I am glad that I read your review before deciding on this excellent camera. I just have one problem, that I would be interested to find out if anyone else has. I have the Nikon Filter set (UV,CP,ND4,ND8) that fit the 28mm thread on the 4500. When I use the UV at full wide-angle, the filter is causing clipping to the corner of the images. ( I am in Programmed with Fine). I have tried another model in the shop, and it appears to do the same. I have mails in with Nikon at present, but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or whether I just need a replacement.
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 11:32 AM   #2

Well, if you saw the same thing in a camera shop with the same setup it is fairly safe to say that there is a problem. If it was your camera and a different lens, then I would check a totally different combination.

The filter set was on thing I wanted to buy for my own 4500 because I want the UV filter to act as lens protection as well.

If I read or learn more I'll post back.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 3:53 PM   #3

At full wide angle, the camera will vignette if you have a filter on. I always experience this with my polarizing filter (on my CP4500), and keep meaning to check with just a single filter such as a UV (to see if a more shallow filer will cause the same to happen). I just keep this in mind when shooting and leave room to crop the edges or avoid total wide angle.

I have the WA converter and just bought a polarizing filter for it, but haven't tried it out yet to see if the same thing happens.

Frank
EnergyPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 4:02 PM   #4

Using Olympus cam with Olympus 1.45 telephoto have to crop also.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:00 PM   #5

While scanning my negatives and slides into my computer, I was agast at the vignetting that I had never noticed in the corners of my Nikon pics. Whether from lens hoods or filters, I don't know. I do know that this is a common problem at widest focal lengths.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 8:17 AM   #6

When I spoke to Nikon at first, they said "oooh, shouldn't do that" send me some examples. Since then no response. I have scoured the web and everyone is getting the problem - even with the UV filter, so it looks like we will have to live with it. I know it might be a moan, but it just makes life an aggravation, if you have to keep checking when at full wide angle that you have the whole image sufficiently inside the vignetting so that you don't end up cropping out the main part of the photos.
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:22 AM   #7

Hey Jedd, I have the vignetting too on my Coolpix 4500 with Crystal Filter UV it is vignetting and with the POL it is even worse. The only one without vignetting is the F-DL, but I don't wanna keep this one permannetly, since it changes the green tones.
I am thinking of buying a B&W. I was just curious and have asked Nikon, which type the'd recommend. Guess what ?
They said it "shouldn't happen" with Coolpix original filters. Now I donno if I should trust them and buy the Nikon filter or better the B&W.
Did anybody solve this issue yet?:
rendl is offline   Reply With Quote