Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 19, 2002, 4:42 AM   #1

Default Powr Pack for 5700?

Any ideas about power packs, external for the 5700? Will a six volt pack work despite the 8.4 volt label?
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 7:21 AM   #2
NHL

See over here

Is the EN-EL1 is giving you the bind?

FYI We've been informally discussing the 5700 before it was available and concluded somewhat that Nikon made an error in judgement when it switched over to this battery type starting with the 995...

Also over the Minolta board we pretty much agree that the 5000, the F707, and the D7(i) all use the same 5Mpixels CCD, hence they all require approximately the same CPU processing horsepower. The Sony camera get away by using a camcorder battery, the D7(i) use AA NiMh, and the 5000/5700 is handicapped by their anemic 650-700 mAh LiIon batteries (1/2 the power of NiMh). There's only two ways Nikon can remedy this, one is the MB5700 NiMh/AA battery grip, the other is to slow down the clock speed of the processor (doing the later will affect the operation of the camera, ie AF speed);

IMHO wait for the MB5700 battery grip. In this day and age of wireless, it looks pretty tacky to be tied up to one's battery pack!

[Edited on 7-19-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:03 PM   #3

I use a digicam more or less like a Leica .. that is I want to have it with me and useable for a full day of walking around. Making the camera bigger defeats a lot of this appeal of the tiny 5700.

I have tried the internal battery, I easily get 2-3 hrs of use and maybe more. Carrying a couple of the little batteries is not so bad.

As for the handgrip, if all it does it offer a home for NIMHs, frankly I would rather carry a belt pack. I already carry a small gadget bag (for extra lenses (eventually, small tripod) soits no big deal for a belt pack.

In contrast, if the NiMH Nikon battery pack makes the camera bigger ... that defeats a lot of the appeal of the camera. I think what I will do is try my NiMH 6volt pack and just see what happens.

I have also thought of making up a pack that uses two of Nikon's batteries in parallel. That way I would have the choice of using the two batteries in parallel as an external pack or removing them and using the camera alone. This would also make a good accessory for someone to make!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
NHL

I agree... I refuse to be tied to a battery pack! Also get big flash cards, the whole idea of digital is not to be limited by swapping film constantly!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 1:52 PM   #5

Yeah!
I can accommodate bulky stuff ( belt pack, dangling 123-pod on the back ) , for special occasions ( scene shots ...) , but definitely not for (pleasure) traveling ! The max is a set of AA and some Cfcards in the pocket :P
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote