Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:59 AM   #1

Default 4500 discontinued?

Its gone from the Nikon USA website ...
Jarrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:25 PM   #2

Yes, discontnued BUT some stores or online store still sell coolpix 4500, possible still warrenty or repair for while. Depend parts may no longer in future.

My cousin still used coolpix 950 and 995, his cp950 had repair past 4 month ago with charge.

That sample: cp950/995 discontinued past 2 years ago. Repair still service til parts run out or not.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:14 AM   #3

I went to Nikon USA and the 4500 is still there. http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/...roductNr=25503 Where did you get the info saying it was discontinued, they are still offering the current rebate till the end of Sept.
pfrancis365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:44 PM   #4

I have been told by multiple camera stores it is dead. I asked at large and even Big (one world wide) store chains and all of the said that the 4500 is discontinued and they can't get them any more.

It isn't listed at B&H photo, one of the largest camera stores by sales volume in the entire US.

Adorama, another quite large dealer doesn't list it any more.

About a week ago I searched on epinions and it showed a few places which claimed to have them, including amazon and cdw... I went to any of them that I'd consider reputable and none of them actually had any in stock.

The only place I have been able to find them is on ebay, and most of those are all through the same store. I am going to call them in the morning to see if I can order one.

If you know of a place which does mail order which you trust, and they have a 4500, please, please, please tell me. The camera is a bit old, but it works very well for digiscoping so I've been looking to get one.

In a different place on this forum, someone claimed to have called nikon directly and asked and was told that it has been discontinued. Look at this link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=12035
On Sun, july 27th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Sorry you're dissapointed too, I know how you feel. I'll let you know what Nikon tells me tomorrow on the phone. I suggest anyone who is upset call and let Nikon know. Their toll free number for digital imaging is 1-800-645-6689.
Then on Mon Jul 28:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
I called today and the man said that the Nikon 4500 is definitely discontinued. He said if you can pre order it now, a few places will get it, and that's it.
He said he could not tell before because corporate did not tell them. He said call corporate headquarters, ask for the program director of the Coolpix 4500 and complain to him. He gave me the number 631-547-4200. Last time I called, they said I had the right number, now all of a sudden I don't. Go figure. Anyway, it was too late to call that office, so I'll try tomorrow. I just want to know what corporate thinks about lying to customers and offering rebates on non-existant cameras.
He said the swivel design will come out again. He said they were going to improve the 4500's electronics. He said he could not tell me when the replacement for the 4500 will be.
I don't trust a thing Nikon says at this point.
I believe her. I matches with my experiences.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:36 PM   #5

I got my 4500 from Cameraforless a month ago. Had no problems with the transaction and camera has been great. The price they show is $438 still (rebate does not apply).
http://www.cameraforless.com/itemdetail.asp?itemid=1046
azsbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:21 AM   #6

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that is a grey market (import) camera. If it is a new US model, I should be able to use the rebate, and they say you can't (which is at least nice of them.) This would mean that I don't get a US warrenty, which sucks. If it is a US camera, then why can't I use the warrenty?

They also don't say if it is in stock, but it might be. I'll add them to the list of places to call. Thanks for the heads up.

Eric
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:03 PM   #7

The camera I received is a US (teal stripe) version. I can only speak for what I received a month ago and not for what is available now. The rebate issue may be due to the fine print in the rebate form concerning only being valid with purchase from an authorized Nikon dealer. Since the price was less than the retail with rebate I did not pursue that any further.
azsbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:08 AM   #8

The store which is selling the cameras on ebay is selling factory demo units. They have no us warrenty, just a 90 day one. And you can not use the rebate on them. But they did have some in stock. His statement was "you won't be able to find new ones any more." (Which matches what I've found while hunting around. No new ones to be found.)

I'll have to call Cameraforless and see what they have to say.

Eric
Old Aug 10, 2003, 6:36 AM   #9

I live in the UK and no mention of the 4500 being discontinued has been muted here. Our shops are full of them. I have a 995 and spoke to a represenitive of Jessops and he checked for me. He stated that he will know for certain at the end of September. Having said that, they are expensive here in the UK compared to US prices. I bought my 995 from Ebay and would recommand anyone to do the same. I was only charged 46 VAT. No import duties were required.
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:59 AM   #10

I just bought a CP 4500 on the 3rd of Sept and it was the last one on the shelf (in Toronto), but the salesman told me that with the new cameras being introduced this fall, there did not seem to be a direct replacement for the 4500. He believed that because of the cameras quality and popularity, it would be around for another year. I also noticed that the Nikon Canada website did not list it on there main page, but it you will still find it on the dropdown list.
8)
kslebar is offline   Reply With Quote