Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:52 PM   #1

Default 2100 worries..

I live in Turkey and I wanted one of my friends in UK to buy a Nikon Coolpix 2100 for me out there (There is quite price difference with here and UK).. But i have some concerns those wanna share with you..

1) Are Nikon 2100s still sold with version 1.0 and must i load firmware after purchase to update the camera's version to 1.1..?

2) Is Nikon's warranty is worldwide or only for the country of purchase.. In case of a breakdown, can't i claim any fixing for no fee in one year?

3) Shots in dim light is said to be the worst side of 2100.. Is this really sucks particularly in that machine or is it like how other digital cameras fail under low light conditions?

4) To whom used 2100..Are they durable?

5) Simply do you recommend 2100 or advice some other better cameras? :lol:

I cannot afford 3100 and 2 MP is ok for me..
iason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:15 PM   #2

No replies on my questions yet, but i did my homework myself and i learned the main problem with Nikons under low light is that lack of AF asist illuminator.

Does this absence really matter and effects the quality of shots a lot?

I also learned that all Canons have that AF illuminator and i am leaning through Canon, unwillingly since dad's all devices are Nikon and as a Nikon fan..
Old Aug 3, 2003, 2:27 AM   #3

I wouldn't feel too much brand loyalty if I were you. All major camera companies just want to make a profit, therefore as the consumer we should be looking out for our own interests as well. If canon makes a camera with the features you want for the price you want, buy it. Perhaps if enough people go for the canon over the nikon, those at nikon will realize that for the price of a digital camera, they can put in a 50 cent light to help it focus.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 3:47 AM   #4

The CP 2100 I bought my girlfriend already came with firmware 1.1, bought in the USA in mid July. As for an AF illuminator, for the price I don't think any manufacturer includes an AF illumination assistance, these are close to bare bone point and shoots imo. Nice affordable camera though, and for my girlfriend's needs it's the perfect size.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 8:38 PM   #5

Well, after sleepless nights researches and comparisons, i am at the end of point to choose whether Nikon CP 2100 or Canon A60..

Although there is a quite price difference between them -about 40-because of the success of A60 under low light conditions and the performance in daylight is nearly the same for both, i am thinking of Canon more seriosly.

So what do u think about it (or them ) All views -including 3100 and A70 users- will considered.. Thanx..
Old Aug 7, 2003, 8:21 PM   #6

Just a simple last question...

Is Nikon's poor effort under low light conditions really annoying?

Or it's almost OK unless you are taking your pictures in pitch-dark?