Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:42 PM   #1

Default Nikon 5400 Image Sharpness Settings

Has anybody done any testing to optimize Nikon 5400's image sharpness?

Every picture I've seen taken by the 5400 is "soft." My Canon S230 with 3.1m pixals is sharper, as is my friends Nikon 880. But I really want the 28mm equivalent which gives me the perspectives I need.

Which is better for most situations, sharpening in-camera or using their software, or a combination of both, and what settings? Actual pictures would be nice, if available.

I should do the tests myself, but I'm checking to see if it's already been done by someone.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:17 PM   #2

If you have patience to shoot RAW format - and postprocess in Nikon Capture - then you will experience sharpness you never seen before. My Nikon D100 in camera sharpness sucks! I never use it. Use software!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:56 PM   #3

:roll: sigh the 5400 does not have raw capability YET nikon keeps saying it will come.

But you can turn the in-camera shaprening off now, and save either as jpg-hi or tiff. This is what I do and IMHO the sharpening done in PS7 produces better results.

My sharpening workflow is to
convert to LAB color
deselect the a&b channels
apply unsharp mask to the L channel
select a&b channels
convert back to RBG.

Again IMHO I prefer the results this way than applying sharpening to the whole image.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:28 PM   #4

PeterP,thanks for your tip - I'll file it away. I'm not too familiar with PS7, since I use my old Corel Photopaint 8. Please tell me you can batch process your photos. If I eventually migrate to PS7+ I can't imagine going through your procedure for every single picture.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:53 PM   #5

PS7 has a batch/script thingy, but I haven't had the time to figure out how to use it yet. PS has a huge number of features I've never tried. One of these days I plan to sign up for a PS course.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:42 PM   #6

Default try elements?

Why don't you give Adobe Photoshop Elements a try. A tenth of the price of the full photoshop but with nearly all the same photo editing tools. Been using it since it came with my 5400.
Can anyone tell me why the astronomical difference in price between PS Elements and the full PS7??
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote