Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Any new Nikon dSLR soon?

I'm in the market for a dSLR. I've read about the 10D, D100 and S2, which are all very good cameras. But I want to know if Nikon wll introduce a new dSLR soon.
Im also considering that Sony announced its new F828 with 8MP and a 28-200 lens, which is tempting.
Has anyone hear of a new Nikon dSLR in the $1,000-$1500 range.
Angelomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:17 PM   #2

Haven't heard anything yet, but perhaps an N75 based digital camera could be a possibility. But if you're considering a DSLR, I'd stay away from the F828. EVF, non standard lens and accessories (meaning, if you had all the accessory lenses for it, when it came time to upgrade again you might not be able re use those accessories, unlike DSLR lenses and accessories for that system are used over and over), aperture range from f/2 - f/8 is a consumer digicam range, and max ISO 800... the only good thing I see in that camera is the compactflash slot :P But that's just my opinion.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:58 PM   #3

How long can you wait? I wouldn't be surprised if they announce one by the end of the year. But it won't be available until X months later (how big is X? I don't know.) But I doubt it will be in that price range. It will be the d2x, which is their flagship digital SLR.

Will that push the price down of the D100? I don't know. Maybe.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 2:32 PM   #4

:P putting on my guessing hat :P

I'd guess Nikon will now be trying put something out to match Canon's new EOS Digital Rebel which is supposed to be in the under 1000$us range.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 4:46 PM   #5

I think that Nikon should do something to get an edge on dSLR.
Maybe a camera with a full size sensor for less than $2,000
or an 8MP-10MP for $1000, and of course, a nice replacement for the D1X would be something like the Kodak 14MP model.
That would put them ahead of the game.
Angelomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:45 PM   #6

Nikon has already made clear that they will stay within the 1.5x FOV sensor size, releasing new DX type lenses and the D2h which is also 1.5x FOV, not full frame. The DX lenses already solve the wide angle dillema, and these lenses are somewhat cheaper than comparable full frame lenses (but not cheap enough imo). I would bet by the end of the year we will see announcements for an N75 based DSLR, the D2x, and a hint of a replacement for the D100 (perhaps announcement for D2x and D100 replacement will be at PMA 2004, next February).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote