Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 23, 2003, 3:49 PM   #1

Default Nikon ES-E28 slide-adapter

I am interested in the quality of the slide-adapter ES-E28 what you can use with the Nikon CP4300? Who has any documentation of this attachement?
Leen Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2003, 4:34 PM   #2

Instead of starting a new thread let me tack on a related question. How does the picture quality of the Nikon slide copier attachment compare with a dedicated slide scanner?
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 3:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leen Jacobs
I am interested in the quality of the slide-adapter ES-E28 what you can use with the Nikon CP4300? Who has any documentation of this attachement?
The ES-E28 is simple device. See below. What you need to do is the following: insert the film or slide cartridge into the device, provide a good light source (WB may be required) too illuminate the glass end (left below), mount your Coolpix camera to the other end (right below), and take a shot. You will have an image of the film/slides. The effect for slide is better; however, some image processing is needed if the duplicated film is a negative. Note that the thread size of ES-E28 is 28mm. If your Coolpix does not have 28mm thread, you will need an adapter. Moreover, your camera must be in macro mode to focus properly. As for light source, sun light is excellent. Your monitor set to white is also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister
Instead of starting a new thread let me tack on a related question. How does the picture quality of the Nikon slide copier attachment compare with a dedicated slide scanner?
In general, the image quality is dictated by the resolution of the camera being used. If the camera has a bad distortion, it will reflected in the duplicated image even though the original is perfectly good. The light source selected also affect the color, tonality, saturation, and so on. One big problem is that the contrast of the duplication is fairly high and need some extra work to overcome this problem. Check the "Close-Up" page of my Coolpix 2500 user guide for a little more details.

If your budget permits, I really recommend a film scanner. The Minolta Scan Dual III is a good one. Check here: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...64&sku=IMNDSD3 It has a resolution of 2820 DPI for less than $300.00. Thus, it is also very cost effective. The Nikon ES-E28 may has a price tag of about $65.00. Adding an adapter if you don't have one will make the total cost around $80.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:07 PM   #4

I lost the link, but someone has a website comparing the quality of the Nikon Slide Copier vs a conventional scanner with slide attachment, and a dedicated slide scanner, with actual pictures.

The dedicated slide scanner had the superior output, very close to an original non-copied digital picture. The Nikon Slide Copier was surprizingly sharp (though inferior) compared to the slide scanner: so close I'd say that sharpness is not a factor in comparing the two. But the slide scanner had much better color balance and tonal graduation, a definitely superior picture. This convinced me to buy a good slide scanner.

The Nikon slide copier would be okay for small prints to give to friends, but wouldn't suffice for quality 8x10 prints for display.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote