Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 23, 2003, 9:12 PM   #1

Default DSLR or compact FAST at writing TIFFs ?

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and take most of my pictures as TIFFs. Which is fine.. but.. the 40 second CF write-time! Most of the time it's bearable, but too often I'm nearly grinding my teeth or shaking my leg like I need to use the bathroom :shock: - just waiting for the camera to finish writing. This is normally because in the mean-time another shot has presented itself and won't hang around - due to fast changing light or movement of the subject :roll:
Is this a camera speed issue or a memory card issue? I use a Sandisk Ultra 256mb. Adding a Lexar 512mb 12x soon.
I assume there must be at least some pro (or even prosumer) camera's out there which write TIFFs quicker than 40 secs :?:

Any info. on this much appreciated..
dom277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:09 PM   #2

That's a camera issue, and also an issue with writing TIFF. Perhaps the 5400 doesn't write as fast as a D100, but writing TIFF's is very processing intensive, not to mention large file sizes (I don't shoot TIFF's for these reasons). Consider large/fine JPG's s they aren't that compressed, and should yield vastly faster write times. A faster compactflash may not be of much help in the 5400, but if you want to buy it for future cameras that will take advantage of this benefit, by all means.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:48 PM   #3
NHL

dSLR users do not use Tiff... It presents no advantage except a bigger file size (beside wasted storage, time, and battery power)! If they want to get away from the compression or the in-camera computation, dSLR owners just use the RAW format instead...

RAW files are only a fraction of Tiffs, beside preserving the CCD data... Tiffs from the cameras are usually stored as 8-bit color (same as jpegs). RAW files after conversion can be saved as 16-bit Tiff (if needed) on the PC! 8)

Follow Marokero advice and use the least compression jpegs, that's what most cameras are designed for... You'll regain a lot in term of camera response, and the 1st generation jpegs are hardly distinguishable from the Tiffs...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I use TIFFs because I post my pics in to a picture library, and the only digital files they acept are TIFF files which are in turn interpolated up to at least 48mb.
Believe me, I wouldn't use TIFFs in a million years otherwise!
Except perhaps to make an A3 print (which I don't normally do - consider the cost these days of just 1 ink cartridge!).

I'll have to ask if they accept TIFFs converted from RAWs, before interpolation. If that is possible, then I eagerly await the first firmware update, which is due to include RAW for my camera. The 16-bit colour from the RAW image sounds good.

In the mean time I'll just keep shakin' my leg
Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:58 PM   #5

NHL your pics are great. Where do you live/ holiday ? Looks lush 8)
Old Aug 24, 2003, 9:51 PM   #6

It should not be an issue where the image is converted to Tiff, in camera or in PC.

All the cameras initially take the image in raw mode, then convert it to the output format of your choice. It just depends what formats the firmware allows you to save in. Nikon has not yet made their raw/NEF output format available yet.

:roll: I am also anxiously awating this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom277
I'll have to ask if they accept TIFFs converted from RAWs, before interpolation. If that is possible, then I eagerly await the first firmware update, which is due to include RAW for my camera. The 16-bit colour from the RAW image sounds good.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:41 AM   #7

Are you saying I can save all my shots as JPEG and when I get back to my pc convert to TIFF, and still retain the data that I would have had if I'd shot it as TIFF ?

Surely when the camera converts to JPEG in-camera - it is in the process throwing away a lot of excess image data in the very act of compression? Otherwise how else would the CF card be able to hold 10-15 times as many JPEGs as TIFFs ?

This was just my assumption; I don't know enough about this subject, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:59 AM   #8
NHL

You can convert Jpeg to Tiff @ the PC, but you can not re-recreate what's already compressed by Jpegs in the camera... Under high magnification and detail will you see the difference, ie distance leaf or trees, but subjects with skin tone or large colored areas with no details like skys and you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference!

BTW my gallery are mostly from the Carribeans, but I live in the eastern US...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote