Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:46 PM   #1

Default Ext. power supply for 5700

I am buiding a simple 7.4 (6 NimH) ext battery pack. Radioshack sells 2-cell holders with button type (e.g. 9v battery) connectors. They also sell modular COILED cords that plug together. AND they sell a battery charger that may even put out enough volts to charge the thing so I do not need to figger out how to charge a 7.4 volt battery!

Watch this space!I am building a simple 7.4 (6 NiMH) ext battery pack. Radioshack sells 2-cell holders with button type (e.g. 9v battery) connectors. They also sell modular COILED cords that plug together. AND they sell a battery charger that may even put out enough volts to charge the thing so I do not need to figger out how to charge a 7.4 volt battery!

Watch this space!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:56 PM   #2
NHL

Charging a NiMh is tricky especially in series, that's why chargers are designed to charge each cell individually. The 7.4V charger at RadioShack is only good for NiCad...

NiMh charger need to sense the dT/dt to stop the cycle (some even has temperature cut-off as well voltage drop sensing !!!). Trickle charge can be done (but at a very slow rate).

See FAQ #3

[Edited on 7-23-2002 by NHL]

You might want to check the Maha C777 out. I'll check for all 3 of the above conditions while charging a 7.4V!!! (you'll may still need to take the NiMh off to put them inside the charger for it to sense the temperature though...) or better still why don't you start with the Maha's own battery x6 holder, and you'll be all set. (unless the RadioShack one is identical)

[Edited on 7-23-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 1:18 AM   #3

may God bless U !
extra battery life IS what 5700 needs !
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:50 PM   #4

I fly electric powered rc aircraft and we use a lot of Nimh batteries.
Forget that Rat Shack charger. It won't peak Nimh batteries properly.
You can get a really cool computerized charger that will do everything from lead acid to NiCad and NiMH batteries and do it fast.
Here is one of the modeling community's favorites.
It's the Dymond Super Smart Charger
Pricey at 109.95? I didn't think so, it works better than some 300.00 chargers I have owned.
I use it to charge everything from my planes to my video camera.
You can get it directly from the manufacturer right here: http://www.rc-dymond.com/
While you are getting some cool stuff, you might want to use some good batteries for your project, we only use genuine high quality sanyo cells, in our hobby the battery is everything.
Here's my favorite place to buy, Dave ships out the same day and has the best prices and best products. http://www.radicalrc.com

Good luck on your project, if didn't hate the idea of dragging something around like an external power source I would make on also.

SteveC
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 3:01 PM   #5
MK

Hey SteveC, we need to talk!

I'm also an e-flyer. I have the FMA SuperNova, same charger as what you have. Talk about versatility, that thing can charge anything. If anyone knows about rechargeables, it's the e-flight guys (and also the e-cars guys too). With a dead battery, the plane crashes!!!!
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:52 AM   #6

Default E-flyers takin over he camera forum!... Just Kidding

Hey MK!

Good to see a fellow E-flyer here!
What are you flying?
Except for the mandatory Zagi's I'm mostly scratch building depron stuff.
You prolly go to Ezone huh?
Here's my last scratch; Ultimate bipe done from Wally world's sturdy board.
Just to keep it in context with this site; photos taken with Kodak DC290
My Ultimate Bipe at Ezone

Lates!
SteveC
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 2:20 PM   #7
MK

Nice bipe! Yelp, I'm an E-Zoner too. I have a LS and currently flying a HL Hurricane foamie. Also have a Super Cub needing covering. Better not talk too much about R/C here or they'll kick us off.

[Funny reading some of the battery info here! ]
MK is offline   Reply With Quote