Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 23, 2003, 3:21 PM   #11

rmae,

Just spoke to provantage.com CS lady. She tells me they have the adapter in stock. In fact, the stock went up from 9 to 73 becasue they just got some. Also, while I was checking, the price dropped from 32.00 to 25.00 !. She will give me the difference.

Hope this helps

Raghav
vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 2:13 PM   #12

Looks like the crisis has passed and the adapters are generslly available again. Both B&H and ProVantage are shipping them, in fact rather than fiction.
brookefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 2:30 AM   #13

Yes everyone seems to have them now, the cheapest being at Amazon.com for $26.99 w/no tax & free shipping.
Thanks to all for your suggestions while things were "dry"!
Ūmae.
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:45 AM   #14

Default Got mine at Buy.Com for 25.00.

Why is Nikon so insistant on stating that the adapters are only for use with their filter set and that you might damage the adapter of your filter if you use others? It's a standard 67mm thread - all of my 67mm filters work great on it.
motownflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:16 AM   #15

Not sure Motown. I thought maybe the lens would crash into something from some slight spacing issue.
-Ūmae
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:53 AM   #16

Default Re: Where Can I Find 67mm Filter Adapter Ring for 5700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmae
Hello!
I'm trying to find the 67mm filter adapter ring (#5597) for the Nikon Coolpix 5700 on the Internet but everyone is backordered! Does anyone know who has it in stock?
Thanks!
-rmae
ok...I'm a little behind the times since I haven't kept up with things with the 5700 accessories. what's with the 67mm filter adapter ring (#5597) and why do I need it? :?: thnx...
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:47 PM   #17

Default Re: Where Can I Find 67mm Filter Adapter Ring for 5700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmae
I'm trying to find the 67mm filter adapter ring (#5597) for the Nikon Coolpix 5700 on the Internet but everyone is backordered! Does anyone know who has it in stock?
Try Adorama at www.adorama.com and you should be able to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixrus
what's with the 67mm filter adapter ring (#5597) and why do I need it? :?:
This adapter ring comes in three components: a cylinder tube to be mounted on the 5700, a cone section to be screwed on to the cylinder tube, and a cap. The cone section has a 67mm thread to be used with 67mm thread filters. But, there have been many reports indicating that the lens may bump into the filter at the full tele end causing a lens error. My setup does not have this problem; but, I managed to "duplicate" one by screwing all components tighter. Apparently, the production tolerance of this adapter tube is large so that if the cone section is screwed tighter onto the cylinder section the total length is reduced. As a result, the lens will touch the filter. You have three possibilities to solve this problem completely.

First, do not screw the tubes and filter too tight. This in general solves the problem easily. Second add a 67-72mm step up ring and use 72mm filters rather than the 67mm ones. Third, buy the Nextphoto 72mm ring and use it with the UR-E8. This setup is more expensive, though. If you do not have the Nikon 67mm adapter, the Nextphoto plus UR-E8 may be a more convenient way because you can easily mount converters. If you have already had the 67mm adapter, adding a 67-72mm step-up ring is cheaper.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 3:03 PM   #18

You're right - I just mounted my adapter and a filter and the lens will indeed hit the filter glass at full tele - I hadn't tried that. It didn't give me a lens error, but it's not something I'd want to do repeatedly either.

As for using a 67mm to 72mm adapter - that's fine if you already own a set of 72mm filters, but if you don't that would be an expensive way to go wouldn't it? Filters that size are not cheap!

I wonder if there are adapters available - extenders might be a better word - 55mm on both ends - to simply extend the length of the adapter a little bit between the first piece that mounts on the camera and the second piece - the 55mm to 67mm adapter. Off on a hunt..............
motownflash is offline   Reply With Quote