Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 26, 2002, 1:27 AM   #1

Default wondering about 5700

Having never picked up a digital camera and not even having a PC at home I feel a bit of an imposter on this site but scanning reviews, posts and advertised price in Aussie dollars (live in Sydney) I'm seriously considering making my first foray into digital photography via the 5700. Looking forward to reading all user comments over the next few weeks ...
crossword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2002, 8:33 PM   #2

Default 5700 ... not a good first choice.

Frankly, I do not think the 5700 is a good first choice for you unless you have some other reason.

Have you done a lot of serious photography in film??

Otherwise, the major advantages of the 5700 are

1. very flexible in re manual controls (of no use if you are not already knowledgeable).

2. high zoom ration ... very useful (vs. say a 3X) only if you are very good at hand holding at long focal lengths.

3. lotsa pixels ..only valuable for enlargements greater than 8X10.

Otherwise, as a starter camera I would recommend something like a coolpix 990. These should cost under $500 or less on eBay of you buy used. Have 3X zoom, 3 megapixels, etc. They also take add on lenses, e.g. a fisheye, if you want tomplay that way.

In the meantime, get a PC, learn to use phot software, etc.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:50 AM   #3

Crossword,

I agree with Steves ,
In your case , I won't recommend the 5700 and it's equivalent ( like D7(i) etc..)
- Too costly for the time you get used to it to fully appreciate it, in another words , let say you take 6 months to be familiar to it and really exploit it fully , for the same $$ , you could get a far better cam in that time.
- Digital photo has it's interest only if you could appreciate and manipulate the photos yourself ( editing , correcting , stitching ,making effects, funny thing , emailing ...) What's your interest if you don't have a PC? A very good film camera ( ~ same features) cost you far less
- I would recommend you in the same way as Steves over there , get a PC and get familiar with some photo editing softwares ( you can begin with some shareware or freeware. there are many excellent too ), and get a midrange camera so you can play with it and discover what you really want in a cam. In about 6 months, then you will know what you want and the choice will be wider than today .
- I had a Coolpix 950 as my first digital ( after a Canon A1(?) and a Nikon N2020 as film cam ) and then a Dimage7, and now a Dimage7i . What I hate in the CP950 was the terrible shutter lag ( see the Steve site front page for the technical term) , otherwise , it was a real good cam, robust , almost shockproof , swivel head very handy for small space situations , etc...
- I recommend also a cam using AA format batteries ( the most economic power way )

Hope that it helps you in some way
Good luck!
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 2:47 AM   #4

Default thanks for replies

Many thanks for the advice re pondering about the 5700 however some of the points raised are exactly why I want the ability to to BIG enlargements. I'm into surfing photography (not in-your-face stuff that probably requires a 600mm auto focus) but as I like to include a fair bit of land/seascape in the composition I'm thinking a 280mm equivalent would be just about ideal. Re the PC, I've done a bit of work at a friend's place and am just astounded how good the software is ... and what a lot of fun it is using it. But again, many thanks for your comments and I do realise digital photogaphy has to take one on a steep learning curve. Whatever, rest assured I'll be keeping this site under intense surveilance re the pros and cons of the 5700 before I shell out any dollars
crossword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 4:03 AM   #5

Big enlargements? How big?

As for the 280 mm ... do you plan to use a tripod? Handholding at 280mm ain't gonna work!
Other than that, the Nikon is pretty much alone in its class ... the nearest things are the Minolta 7i and the Oly20N. The latter has less zoom and is much bigger physically. The 7i is almost the same as a Nikon .. 7x is pretty close to 8x.

One serious advantage of the Oly may be the visual viewfinder, the LCD viewfnder on the Minolta dn the Nikon are an aquired taste,
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 1:11 AM   #6

yo ! down-under ! R U enjoying the winter while we're all splashin'fun above the Equator ?
as wise Master above have pointed out this is NOT your choice, especially if U don't operate a PC . add to that : the unique exterior shape of 5700 makes it cumbersome to hold inside a protecting case, which U should have while taking surfing pictures among waves AND sand !
IMHO I highly recommend Canon G2 . it will serve all your expectations plus LONG battery life, except the ultra tele-lens .
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 9:49 AM   #7

I would go for the 5700.
The point and shoot automatic mode is excellant and will put you on the first steps to undestanding digital photography, it will also highlight the benefits of a superb piece of glass on the front of the camera as well as its magnification.
The camera will grow with you and as you learn it will be the necessary tool to utilise your new skills.
Buy a cheaper camera with less functions, within 6 months it will be defunct, you will also be aching for the flexibility of a 8 x zoom.
A PC and a sturdy tripod are paramount.
allant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:30 PM   #8

I agree with allant,
I don't have a lot of experience with digital cameras yet, but I have a lot of experience shooting surfing photos on film.
That 3x zoom on the G2 isn't going to even come close.
Even the 8x on the 5700 is going to be marginal. At low tide over the reefs, those guys are going to look like noise specs.
You prolly already have a tripod if you shot some surf stuff on film.
You can get a PC for practically nothing; much less than the 5700 is going to cost you.
For all the money I spent on film and developing surf shots that I don't drag out of the closset any more, I could have bought ten 5700's.
I say buy both; a pc and the 5700... one for each foot!
Get some shareware or something else for free and have at it!

SteveC
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 4:17 PM   #9

There is a big advantage with the 5700 - you can see your subject with ease in the viewfinder in bright sunlight. Isn't that when more surfers are out? I've had to struggle viewing the LCD screens outdoors. If you want to carry some sort of screen hood another camera could work. The optical viewfinder that accompanies LCD screens on other cameras just doesn't frame the shot properly.
DreamU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:11 PM   #10

yeah I agree, why go for the silver, when you can get the gold...Choose the CP5700 and run the point and shoot program...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote