Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:18 AM   #1

Hi there

I'm travelling through S/E Asia at the moment, snapping pics along the way with my Nikon Coolpix 8400. It's been working beautifully so far, the extreme wide-angle allowing me to take some nice shots of temples and pagodas.

However it has now packed up on me, and I'm not sure what the problem is.

The camera still turns on and operates fine, however when you point and hold the shoot button to focus on something it can't do it -- there is seemingly no ability to focus and each photograph is blurry. You can hear the camera focusing, as it normally does, but the result isn't there.

I wondered if some sort of focal option had accidentally been changed and have restored factory defaults but it is still the same.

I've taken dozens of outdoor and indoor photos while attempting to fix the problem and all are blurry, to the point that objects in the photos are indistinguishable.

Curiously though, very close macro images are a little sharper (though not crystal clear) making me wonder if some sort of macro feature has accidentally swung into action.

Also it's hot here so I've also wondered if there is condensation in the camera that has fogged an internal lense and/or the focus function.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this with a Nikon camera?

Many thanks in advance!
titimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2008, 2:44 AM   #2

Well with 250 views and no response I guess that nobody has an idea of what's going on with my camera. It's been about 3-4 weeks since it started blurring (still travelling) and it hasn't come good.

I think that I can rule out condensation as it should have cleared by now if this was the cause -- even though it is still hot where I've been (in India now).

I've attempted to contact Nikon Australia re: the problem but due to slow computers and a convoluted Nikon website I've been unable to find my way. I did find a product assistance page but it (helpfully) didn't list the 8400.

Maybe I'll just have to wait until I reach Australia to take it into a camera repair shop.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers
titimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:01 AM   #3

in this moment i came to trying solve my first serius problem whit my coolpix 8400.

first question it´s new firware appear in this link:

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi...0PTYmcF9zZWFyY

i did havecondensation when taking a makro touch the water surface, many time and sun hours for solve ir, but small rest can see forever into lents.

My actual and serius problem it´s that camera turn crazy, bottoms not response, many turns arround discover that pulsing the FUNC bottom can use any funtions but unpractical operated.

will looking for any solution, nest try new firmware...
EA1EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:22 PM   #4

Hi I had the same problem for 3 weeks now it it was driving me crazy. I couldn't get the thing to focus no matter what I tried. After spending 5 day's with a Nikon Rep. online, I gave up. So I took it to Nikon, and after about 5 minutes it was fixed. Try turning your camera to the "S" position (shutter speed) and adjust it to 1/125 or 1/250 using the dial under the selection dial. Turn the the left increases shutter speed, to the right will lower it. You can see the change on the LED screen or the view finder. Take pix's. at both setting ( with flash on and off) to see if you can see a difference. It seemed after I took a bunch of pix's on the "S" mode, it worked perfect on all other modes (P,S,A or Auto) I It seemed to be stuck on the 1/30 shutter speed. If you use Auto Mode indoors and your shutter speed is only 1/30 use 'P' mode or "S" mode to adjust your shutter speed to at least 1/125 or higher. Oh Ya make sure firmware is up to date! You can download it at Nikon's website (all the instructions are on the website on how to update the firmware and how to do it. It's quite simple! If you haven't tried it yet, 1st. reset the camera and 2nd format it after resetting it right away. I hope this will help you out
captain mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:43 AM   #5

@titimus

did you manage to find out what the problem was and/or fix it?

the same thing just happened now to my 8400. just updated to latest firmware as well and reset unit several times but still same thing.
robs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6

any news as think mine has done the same :/

and if you dont find out I may wait and get the coolpix A despite setting me back 900quid,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZ0i...ature=youtu.be
greggsmithy is offline   Reply With Quote