Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:46 PM   #1

Default MBE-5700 battery pack

To Koruvs and others: Iam getting to the age where iam having a little trouble holding the 5700 still all the time and i cant drag that tripod every where i go.do you think this battery pack will help me any? and how heavy will it make the unit? I also would like to get away from the high battery drain of the enel1 pack and go with the 6xAAs. thanks to all that can take the time to answer this. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 11:08 PM   #2

Hi Tealblue,

The total weight of the MB-E5700 is like holding approx 8-9 AA in your hand at once. For overall grip it definately 'feels' better, especially for 'portrait position' type shots. 6 AA at 1800mAh lasted me 3+ hours of constant use.

Hope that helps!

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:21 PM   #3

I recently began using a CP 5700 and found it a little awkward to hold compared to my old Nikon SLR. I purchased a Digipower 9000, which not only gives me 3-4 hours of picture taking before requiring recharge but also this squarish battery on the bottom gives my left hand something to hold on to. Since I am a tinkerer, I fabricated an accessory handle that I can mount between the bottom of the camera and the Digipower battery pack. This gives my left hand something substantial to hold on to. Since it's made of aluminum, it doesn't add much weight to the camera.

I can't figure out how to take a picture of it since the CP 5700 is my only digital camera. I could take a photo with my film camera and scan it, I suppose - if you're interested in seeing it.
Larry Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:35 AM   #4

LARRY!! Yes i would like to see it when you can post it. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:24 PM   #5

Default Re: MBE-5700 battery pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealblue
To Koruvs and others: Iam getting to the age where iam having a little trouble holding the 5700 still all the time and i cant drag that tripod every where i go.do you think this battery pack will help me any? and how heavy will it make the unit? I also would like to get away from the high battery drain of the enel1 pack and go with the 6xAAs. thanks to all that can take the time to answer this. Tealblue
:roll:

I started out using the MBE and finally got tired of the fumbling when changing the 6 batts in the tray. I suppose an extra tray would help. I ordered a couple of spare EN-EL1s on the web for very little. The whole package is now easier to handle, especially for traveling. I don't see any difference for long focal lengths. You still need a tripod. The six AA's were a pain to charge as well. It took 2 chargers which means some of your set may get a different
charge. No big deal but with the other complaints it added up for me. I will probably alternate from time to time as I have the investment in the MBE. Good luck.
plinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:00 PM   #6

Default Homemade handle for CP 5700

Tealblue, I'm sorry it took me so long to upload this image, but, it's the best I could do with only one digital camera (I finally decided to take the second photo shooting directly into a mirror). The handle is shown in these 2 pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/image/22876711

http://www.pbase.com/image/ss876738

It allows me to hold the camera with my left hand alone and works fairly well, but, I may need to modify it a little to make it slightly more comfortable.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:04 PM   #7

Default Homemade handle for CP 5700

Sorry, the second url is incorrect. Just click on the first photo to close it and select the second photo, which is the thumbnail to the right of it.