Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 28, 2002, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 4500 external battery

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the Li-ion battery, EN-EL1 verses the "AA" nimh battery for the new Nikon's. My informal testing on my 4500 confirms that you can get about 90 minutes of use on a single charge. That should be enough for most users.

My previous camera was a Nikon Coolpix 950 which used "AA" nimh batteries and I like the convenience and cost of these so I decided to build a 6 cell AA nimh external battery pack for use with the Coolpix 4500. Here is a list of the parts I used to build the power pack.

Radio Shack Adaptaplug "C", 4.7 mm O.D. x 1.7 mm I.D., item 273-1706

Radio Shack Adaptaplug Socket, item 273-1743

Radio Shack 9 v Battery Snap Connectors, item 270-324

Shrink tubing

Speaker wire

6 cell "AA" battery holder from

http://www.nimhbattery.com/battery-holders.htm

The power pack works great and should provide 3 or more times the power of the EN-EL1. I plan to keep the power pack in my camera bag for emergency use and also as the main power source for use during the winter here in Alaska (inside my coat).

tmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:44 AM   #2

OK. But with 6 AA you get 7.2 v. and I think 4500 power requirements are different from 950.
Isn't EN-EL1 or external power recquired for 4500 8.4 v?
If so, you will need 7 AA cells for 4500 instead.
Am I wrong?
Regards
CÚsar
CÚsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:23 PM   #3

Default voltage

When the "AA" nimh batteries are fully chaged the voltage of the pack is at 7.8 volts. I suspect that as the pack is exhaused, the voltage will drop to 7 volts.

The EN-EL1 and Li-ion aftermarket rechargables are 7.2 to 7.4 volts when fully charged.

The one-use photo batteries are listed at 6 volts, however I have never tried one.

The ac/dc adapter port is marked 8.4 volts.

My guess is that there is a minimum voltage were the camera will not run and a maximum voltage that would damage the camera. This battery pack falls well inbetween the voltages of the one-use battery and the ac/dc adapter, so it should be safe.

I've tried it with and without the EN-EL1 in the camera, and it works fine either way.

I'm not sure that I would want to try the 6 cell battery pack with standard "AA" batteries. 1.5 x 6 batteries at 9 volts may be a bit much for the camera, but I do not know and I have no intentin of testing it at that voltage.

Hope this helps.

Tom
tmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:57 AM   #4

Thank you, Tom.
I see your point and explanation.
Regards.
CÚsar
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:57 AM   #5

Thank you, Tom.
I see your point and explanation.
Regards.
CÚsar
Old Aug 7, 2002, 11:37 AM   #6

Default Nice solution....

That's an excellent solution and appears to be relatively inexpensive.

If you need more power, the Eagle Eye Dual-Force Pro PowerPack works very well indeed with the CP4500 (as well as with the CP995, 990, 950, etc. It provides a whopping 5000mAh power which will let you leave the LCD on and shoot all day testing to way over 1500 shot while the battery still has power.

Though the native battery is rated at 7.4 volts, the true 6 volt NmH rechargeable Dual-Force Pro works perfectly. I suspect that under load the 7.4v has a fairly broad range of operational voltage and there is absolutely no degredation of any function with the true 6 volt output from the Eagle Eye battery with either the CP995 or CP4500. Mine takes a beating with full days of digiscoping and the way the battery is configured you have two sources so you can simultaneously power an external flash and the camera, or just plug into the second port when the first has expired.

Here's a link for more information:

Link To Dual-Force Pro PowerPack at Eagle Eye - Click Here

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote