Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Loo
Take low-light, or, low-contrast conditions, for example. There have been many complaints about the CP 5700's lackluster performance under these conditions. If you go into Shooting Menu #2, select Focus, and then turn AF Area Mode to Off, you'll find that the 5700 will lock on focus when the light is very dim. This is due to the camera selecting the central area, or most sensitive area, as its focusing area.

"this works fine on my camera" !!!

If this fails you, then resort to Manual Focusing. Just depress the MF Button on the left side of barrel, hold it down and rotate the Command Dial. You will see the Manual Focusing Bar move to the right or left as you rotate the bar. Rotate the Command Dial until the white bar just reaches the "Mountains" on the right side. The 5700 is now focused at 7 feet. Turn it one more click counterclockwise (CCW) and the 5700 is focused at 8 feet. Another click counterclockwise and it's focused at 9 feet. Turn it one click clockwise (CW) from the 7 foot starting point and the 5700 is focused at 6 feet.
here is where i think my camera has a flaw .... when i rotate the command dial one click at a time , the white bar doesnt move for at least 5 to 8 clicks, then it doesnt move again for another 5 to 8 clicks!! should the white bar obviously move on each click or is my camera whacked???
mikeyinsunnyflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
here is where i think my camera has a flaw .... when i rotate the command dial one click at a time , the white bar doesnt move for at least 5 to 8 clicks, then it doesnt move again for another 5 to 8 clicks!! should the white bar obviously move on each click or is my camera whacked???
Mine works the same.
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:51 PM   #13

Default OK

OK
akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 2:27 PM   #14

Has anyone made a more complete table than the one Larry provided us with, for the closer distances? I see that it could be done by shooting at each additional click and then checking the data recorded for the shot.

I'm new to the camera (CP 5700) and digipho, and am very perplexed as to why a display of MF distance values are not displayed while in shooting mode. Counting clicks is a cumbersome and tedious and crude process of focusing, is it not?

- Brooke
brookefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:25 AM   #15

Code:
     clicks  meters

(CCW)
        9    inf
        8    20 m 
        7    10 m 
        6    7.0m 
        5    5.0m 
        4    4.0m 
        3    3.0m
        2    2.8m 
        1    2.4m 
(0)---0    2.1m  (bar touches the mountain)
       -1    1.9m
       -2    1.7m
       -3    1.6m
       -4    1.5m
       -5    1.3m
       -6    1.2m
(CW)   -7    1.1m

<too lazy to continue>
QWERTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:22 PM   #16

Larry

Your click-trick is very useful indeed.

I even found a way to carry the data around in my cam, have a look at the picture: http://www.bravedragon.com/index.php?cc=8&cp=28

Maybe you like the idea.

Thanks a lot!

Mario
MarioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:36 PM   #17

Two extra variants of the table

http://www.geocities.com/cat_cero/5700.pdf

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secret...Ch3G-Extra.pdf
QWERTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:31 AM   #18

Default Very Usefull Information

It's great that someone came up with this table, but it's a shame that you have to go through all this trouble for something Nikon really screwed up. Can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't use meter markings on the manual focus scale, which is why I finally sold my 5700.
The Governator is offline   Reply With Quote